Need help - Posi rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help - Posi rear end

First of all, im a huge noob so dont laugh..

Looking to upgrade the rear end in my car to something posi, i was thinking of posting up an add looking for a trac-loc rear end but what do i look for? Any specifics to fit on my 97 grand marquis? Also, what would i need just for a posi rear end? Also, could this be done for less then $300ish?
    79 Grand Marquis

I think a K code rear is what you're after but I could be wrong.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Need list of what i'd need to buy as well, like, what parts i would need to do the swap.
      79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Eaton sells an 8.8 limited slip diff for our axles 21 spline? its like 350 bucks though, but its new. Im not sure what to look for in a junk yard.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Summit sells a brand new complete 28 spline track lok carrier for around 200.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Summit sells a brand new complete 28 spline track lok carrier for around 200.
            Damn I might be interested in that, and you're right it is 28 spline, I am just retarded.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Or you can just snag one from the junkyard for $24 like i did.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

It depends on what you want to go with. You want gas mileage or do you want to take off like a bat outta hell?

Comment

New one is 200, used one is whatever the junkyard charges, plus 100 for the rebuild kit and your time to do the removal and overhaul. Honestly, for the bother and expense, I'm strongly inclined to just buy a brand new one when I do the Mark VII.

There is no requirement to change rear gears if you install a limited slip, but many do. Its also a good time to replace the bearings in the rear, as well as the axle seals. When you change the carrier, you really should check the gear setup to ensure a proper contact pattern. If you aren't changing gears, chances are very good that you will get a good pattern simply by re-installing the original shims in the original location, but no guarantees. If you're changing the gears, then you may need to play with it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

this stuff is assuming you have the same style 8.8 rear end as boxes and if you have under 3.55 gears i would personally upgrade the ratio while your at it. Your rear end is a tad wider than boxes but i believe the guts and axles also are the same. You can do the posi and gear ratio change as 2 seperate things if you wish.

-i would get a rebuilt genuine ford unit (with new clutches) not a chinese ford racing,... thiers a guy on ebay that does this and a very good job for $100 with 8 clutches set nice and firm.
                    -might as well get 3.73 gears while your at it, you can find a good set of real oem ford low miles for around $70
                    -pick up an instal kit with TIMKEN bearings and seals and shims and everything you will need $100.
                    -i would go with conventional diff fluid and a little bottle of friction modifier for limited slips sold at ford... once you get into synthetics they have a little friction modifier like additives in them and adding the 4 oz bottle will be to much, and not adding enough will be to little so keep it simple and go conventional oil and the additive.

last but definently not least is the install... rear ends are one of few things that really honestly should be done by a good shop that knows what they are doing... $250 or so is about the lowest price you will find for a good quality install.
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

My rear is a z code and its also a factory trac-lok. The k code is not the only limited slip diff that came in a panther just the lowest ( highest numerically ) gear ratio from the factory being a 3.55.

Check GoodSamaritan's sig for a list of axle codes

Also most junkyards will sell a complete carrier section for $75-100.

check here http://www.laurelmountainmustangpart...ing-p-851.html for a frpp rebuild kit for cheap

Its where I got mine. I you want to change gears also while your in there that's a whole
                      different discussion.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        It depends on what you want to go with. You want gas mileage or do you want to take off like a bat outta hell?
                        Bit of both really, think around 16 mpg in a 97 grand marquis with 3.55's is too much to ask for?

If i get a new rear end, ill probably just look at something brand new actually, i know a shop that could do it for $200.
                        79 Grand Marquis

Comment

16MPG highway or city? Highway you should still be well into the 20s driving reasonably with 3:55s.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Keep in mind a 97 has a wide ratio transmission. A stock 3.27 with a WR has a lower effective first gear ratio than an AOD with a 3.73. You can get away with a whole lot less gearing on one of those cars for that very reason. 3.55 will act from a gearing perspective like a 4.11 would to an AOD car.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght=gear+ratio

has the chart comparing the two. The 97 has a 4R70w, which is what the wide ratio AOD gearset comes from.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I get 15 mpg highway with 4.30's haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X