Power steering box is leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering box is leaking

So, i noticed a nice big puddle of red fluid in the snow the other day. And it was definitely coming from the steering box. The power steering system is starting to whine at almost every movement. But there's still sufficient fluid in the reservoir.
    It's leaking on the bottom of the box, where the arm comes out. I'll post pics tomorrow when its light out.
    The question is:
    Can I just replace the seal?
    Or should i just go put a new (junkyarded) steering box in?
    I read that the 98-02 one's were the best one's to get.
    Johnny5 need input!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

you can, but if the box is majorly slopped out you ought to replace the box. The late model steering gear does give you some more wheel feel, but I'm not entirely sure what the gig is with the couplers or lines compared to your 92. check p71interceptor.com, i seem to recall he has info on the late model steering gear swap, and what specific lines and couplers you need.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a 93, but i don't think there's much difference. I'll check them out. I don't i'll have much problem fab'ing up a line or two. It give me a reason to use my flareing kit and tube benders. Schweet!
      Thanks, I'll just replace the box then.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

the later model steering boxes (like 96+) aren't flare connection, its some bs wierdo connector. I think there is one year that has the exact drop-in PS hose you need, but i don't recall what it is.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have the same problem with my 88 Town Car right now. I opted to change the seal as I'm not well enough off to buy a new steering box. The snap ring was a proper PITA to get out (one end broke off it) and now I can't get the seal out to save my life. I tried driving screws up through the seal but no dice. Any ideas as to what else I can try to get that sumbitch out? Thanks!
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

A leaking FoMoCo steering box?? Unheard of.. seriously, what else is new? Here's a new one: mine also whines a bit! Although, if you've got a PUDDLE... I just got the drip.. if you'll pardon the expression.
            If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

Comment

that output shaft seal is why i just buy reman steering boxes, if the box is rusty forget trying to get it out without a huge fight

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm in the middle of the same thing. I figured I'd get a new seal, pull the pitman arm, change the seal, and be on my way..................NOT!!!!! According to the instruction sheet, I'd have to pull out the steering box, and DISASSEMBLE the whole thing, just to change the damned thing!!!!! At that point, you might as well rebuild, or replace the damned thing!!! I have an 89 GM. So now the search goes on for a 98 -02 Police box, fluid lines to cut, flare, and connect, and the ragjoint connector at the box. Right now it's top off the fluid every couple of days, which is getting really old here.
                MIKE

Comment

proper method of changing the seal does involve taking the box apart and driving it out from the inside, and driving a new one in again. Sometimes you can cheat and jerk it out with a screw but if that seal bore is rusty, forget it. usually by the time they start to vomit fluid, the box is about done for anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X