1990 Grand Marquis GS - Needs Freeze Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Grand Marquis GS - Needs Freeze Plugs

Not more than a month ago, I bought this 1990 MGM from the second owner. It has 76k miles on the odometer and it is believed to be actual miles due to word of mouth and documentation.

The car has a rebuilt transmission and torque converter installed. This was done at 55k miles due to a failed TV cable bushing. surprise surprise! I have paperwork from a Ford dealership that installed the rebuilt transmission to document this. The transmission shifts great and fluid is clean.

Body has some decent dents on the pass side, and two in the hood. Numerous scratches and scuffs. Paint is badly faded on the trunk and roof. Vinyl top is still decent, with no cracks or splits.

Interior is decent. Average wear and tear, nothing excessive. Blue velour. The blue seats have faded to green.

Power window motor bushings are worn out so the motors run, windows do not move. Power locks work.

Driver power seat mechanism is stiff, but does work, just slowly.

Factory AM/FM/Cass and factory speakers. Works fine.

I bought the car from the owner stating that there was a "bad" leak in the cooling system. I rushed into buying the car without getting to fully check it out. The cooling system was VERY neglected and the the owner say it blew coolant everywhere one day and he stopped driving it.

Well, it was from rotted out freeze plugs and rotted radiator.

The big issue is I started to pull the engine to replace the freeze plugs and I was unable to finish. So the engine is halfway pulled. All front accessories are disconnected, radiator/fan/shroud is pulled out, fuel lines are disconnected, wiring is disconnected, motor mounts are disconnected. Transmission bell housing is unbolted from engine.

So the car is not currently drivable. Prior to my aborted engine pull, the engine sounded awesome and ran beautifully smooth. Transmission shifted right on. Car drove tight and smooth. A/C converted to R134a and does work.

Basically if you can replace the freeze plugs and put the engine back together you are set! Needs exhaust, but catalytics are in place. Engine bay is very cruddy from the nasty orange/rusty coolant that leaked everywhere.

I also have a brand new water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, freeze plug set, oil filter, 5 quarts oil, and other parts to go with it. Newer aluminum radiator. I recently installed new air filter, autolite plug wires, Motorcraft plugs, Accel cap and rotor kit, throttle position sensor, new battery, new glass halogen headlamps (replaced the original plastic ones).

$600 firm. I bought it for $800 a month ago, and also have nearly $200 in new parts to go with it. I screwed myself big time by not being able to fix this myself like I had hoped.

Easy project for someone with the skills, or great parts car.

Email me with questions. Car is located in Graceville, FL. Zip code is 32440.

I will get better photos soon, but for now here are what I have.

http://picasaweb.google.com/71ford/V...dMarquisPhotos

Last edited by Ragtop429; 03-02-2010, 01:37 AM.

It's Gotta GO - $300 For The Whole Thing

Sad sad sad... But it's gotta go or it gets picked up by the scrap man.

$300 for everything, except the rims and tires. I am swapping them out and will put junkers on the car so it will still roll.

I realize that my location is a hindrance, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyhow before letting it go to scrap.

Car is located in Graceville, Florida. 32440. Come on, take a road trip, bring the car hauler, and get a good solid car to work with for a hell of a steal!

Comment

You should also list your car on E-Bay or Kijiji to get more exposure.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        You should also list your car on E-Bay or Kijiji to get more exposure.
        I have it listed on Craig's List, Kijiji, and various other classified sites.

I just wanted to update the status on my ad I have on here.

Comment

It's now $200 - No Lower

Scrap man came and got it. It's gone. $180 is what I got for it.

A sad day.

Comment

Working...
          X