Open diff will not come off!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open diff will not come off!!!!

Trying to remove the diff as we speak. Took out c- clips and bearing retaining arch-things, and pinion bolt. need help asap! I even hooked up a cargo strap and tried to pull it out to no avail. I'm trying to do this tonight, so any help is appreciated immediately!!!!!!
    whoever helps me get this off gets a present at ScottFest10!!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

jam a big prybar in the carrier and turn the pinion flange.....that usually helps break them free

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Stupid ? but did you push the axles out of the way?
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

you got the whole pinion bolt out right? They snap sometimes. If the pin in the middle that holds the spider gears came out, you're good.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

He took out the C-clips, and as I remember, you can't get those out without first having the pin out. Correct? I also agree with Pesty - really stupid question, but yeah, did you yank the axle shafts?

They do come out hard sometimes depending on the number of shims in the housing. More than likely you just haven't pulled hard enough on it yet. Like Scott said, go at it with a prybar and it should come.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Removed c-clips , axles are out. I used a 5k cargo strap to try and pull it out. I'll try the shims with a prybar or a punch to see if i can get some thing to move.
            I'll try a prybar again.....
            thanks mangs
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Put the trans in neutral, as it sometimes can help it to fall out easier. Not usually an issue, but in a unique circumstance it might.

Comment

Driveshaft is removed
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

got it. Now the spider gears on the trac-loc are being difficult.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Everythings good. just having a tarded evening.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

I'm gonna assume it was a success seeing as I saw the tank roll by as I was pulling out of bob evans.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If you in buff and need help, i can stop up and help out givin enough notice.
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Worst case, hook the driveshaft back up, start the car, put it in drive, and hold it to the floor. It will all come out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                            Worst case, hook the driveshaft back up, start the car, put it in drive, and hold it to the floor. It will all come out eventually.
                            I like your thinking.
                            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Yeah, everything was good. And i test drove the car for 19 miles before driving to Philly and back over the weekend.
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                              X