4.6 carb conversion kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 carb conversion kits?

I recently ran across edelbdock's 4.6 carb conversion kit. (part# 2839)

I also know a local guy who sometimes frequents this site, who was toying with one, but never finished it.

While I don't see the point in doing this to a good running panther, it would be a very cool engine to run in an older project car, or rat rod. Especially due to the passing resemblance to the old ford y block.
    Aside from the high price of the edelbrock kit, 4.6's are cheap around here. I can pick up good ones, along with the transmission for $400-$600 all the time. (yes, I know the transmission is computer controlled, but I'm looking into that)

It would make for a simple, reliable and super smooth project car, with as much power as a 5.0 HO engine.

So now for the question...
    Has anyone seen any kit's other than the one edelbrock sells? Preferable one that doesn't have a proprietary ignition system.

Thoughts?
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

sullivan makes an intake

there was a company making adaptors to put a carbed 302 intake on a 4.6 4v, but I cant remember the name of the company

the pi 2v 4.6's make quite a bit more power than 5.0ho

Comment

KarKraft made a bunch. They went out of business but still sell their products through eBay. I bought an intake manifold spacer through them last year.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Note: These 4.6's don't produce a whole lot of low-end grunt with the carbed intakes....

Gear up and converter up accordingly.

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        KarKraft made a bunch. They went out of business but still sell their products through eBay. I bought an intake manifold spacer through them last year.
        Yep, that was a sad day.

Comment

If you want to use it with the 4R70W transmission, Baumann Electronic Controls sells the Baumannator, which is a standalone controller for it.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

if its a hot rod, another option is just running a manual valve body

or go 5spd

Comment

Working...
            X