Need help with 97 with tail light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with 97 with tail light issue

Sup guys, I'm actually posting this for a friend. He purchased a 1997 Marquis the other day, and the car is solid apart from this issue. The car had no lights whatsoever functional when he purchased it. I pulled and changed every fuse in the interior fuse panel for him, and installed a new headlight switch for him as well. We also installed new brake/tail light bulbs and rear corner light bulbs. So at this point, the headlights, dash lights and brake lights all work. The turn signals on all 4 corners work, as well as the high beams.

Problem is, we just cannot get the tail lights to work. All the brake lights work so I feel the wiring should be solid. I was under the impression that the tail lights should come on when the headlights are turned on, but this isn't happening.

At first I thought it was the lighting control module, so I removed it and of course the headlights didn't come on. I reinstalled it since I believe it works since the headlights regained function and the door alarm works. So I don't think the LCM is bad. What else could it be?

Do the 1997's have daytime running lamp modules? Could that be why the tails don't work? The interior is pitch black on the inside when you open the door also. The dome and all 4 interior bulbs don't come on, although I have yet to even check them. More concerned about the tails honestly. Please help us GM experts! Thanks everyone.

I'd swap out the lcm for a known good one. unless the marquis has dark car mode like the interceptors, it would explain why your interior lights dont function...
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Brake lights and tail lights have separate wiring, since they're two different filaments in the same bulb, they are two different power wires, but they share a ground.

Since there's only one thing that all those lights have in common, signs point to that one thing (the LCM)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
      X