Amp location suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp location suggestions

I bought a diesel audio nsx-8004 amp that I'm going to be installing for the speakers (not a sub--the preamp in the headunit keeps distorting before the music gets to the volume I like).

I can't figure out where to mount it, since I have a wagon. If I had a sedan I'd mount it on the parcel shelf in the trunk and be done with it, but I don't. My next thought was under the passenger seat, but I've put a power seat on that side, so there's no room for it.

I don't want to put it in the well of the cargo area because I keep big heavy shit in there. Unless it's well protected, I don't want to put it in the cargo area at all. Cargo area gets used for lots of...well....cargo...and shit.
    The only idea I can come up with is behind one of the rear speakers above the rear wheel behind the plastic trim there. Possibly near the spare tire, since that's right near the factory amp.

Anybody got any other brilliant ideas?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Use the factory amp location. If you pull the spare tire out, you should find the stock amp somewhere behind that panel. otherwise, maybe use the opposite site where that little stash hatch is. I think if you pull all of that out, you'll find a nice area to work with, though completely removing and re-installing that over-wheel trim is a pain.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ditto that. Maybe rig up a vent grill and fan in the panel since there wont be much air circulation in there.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        Ditto that. Maybe rig up a vent grill and fan in the panel since there wont be much air circulation in there.
        This. I overheated my amp once and it is mounted just open in the trunk.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Use the factory amp location. If you pull the spare tire out, you should find the stock amp somewhere behind that panel. otherwise, maybe use the opposite site where that little stash hatch is. I think if you pull all of that out, you'll find a nice area to work with, though completely removing and re-installing that over-wheel trim is a pain.
          Stock amp location is on the D pillar behind the spare tire cover. Not enough room to mount the much bigger amp that I have. I may go behind the trim forward of the spare tire or on the opposite side. I use the stash hatch for lots of stuff.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            Think I'll hack up a PC fan. Maybe put in a goofy grille from a custom computer shop with a skull or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
              Think I'll hack up a PC fan. Maybe put in a goofy grille from a custom computer shop with a skull or something.
              I hope the fan will have leds on it to add some flare.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

lol...maybe....it'll be in the cargo area, and my cargo area tends to be full of well.....tools and shit.

Comment

I am dealing with exactly the same question! Following this thread with interest

Comment

and, there's a subwoofer behind the spare tire?? never knew that!

Comment

no, theres no sub in the spare tire area. They just put the amplifier back there on the wagons.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

amp location in my 88 MGM for the subs is under the passenger seat. I wanted it inside the car to help with cooling it during the summer (Texas). Then I ran the speaker wire to the subs in the trunk. The passenger seat does NOT have power though so it had plenty of room under it. Most folks I see mount the amps to the back of the rear seat or the bottom of the rear deck where the rear factory speakers are mounted (sedans). Wagons usually just mount it to one of the side panels or the speaker box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

when I get around to having a DD and putting this car on the side as a weekend cruiser.. Im going to build a nice sub box for 2 8 inch alpines and mount the amp right smack on top... I want to get the performance shit done first though.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                          X