X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear selector adjustment

Car: my '92 CV

Issue: gear selector has too much play

Can any shop adjust this or do I have to take the car to a trans shop?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

I think you have to isolate the problem. it might be in the collumn, it might be in the cable, it might be at either cable connection

Comment

my old '91 merc wagon did somethin weird once. for a long time the shifter was loose and would get worse. at one point i was at a gas station when i couldent put the car in park. after trying to fumble the shifter to go into park, a bolt fell out from under the dash and just shut the car off in drive. after a quick look, it turned out to be the bolt that linked the shifter to the shift cable lol.was an easy fix, so maybe its just a case of tightening it up if it is like my ol '91. it was a torx head too.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

when my dads 92 cv was doing that it ended up being the shift tube, somehow it broke in half down at the bottom, it's only held on with 2 half clamps, trip to the j/y all is good. the bolt that bolts the shift arm to the tube could also be lose.
        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Fixed today!!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

so what was the problem?
            ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
            ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

yeah, what's up? My gear selector has a LITTLE bit of play in it, if it's just a case of being able to take apart the steering column and adjust it, I'd be a happy man
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the 90+ cars have the aluminum shift tube that cracks. There is also something with the bolts coming loose underneath the column, but I'm not sure what thats all about.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

simple fix

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  the 90+ cars have the aluminum shift tube that cracks. There is also something with the bolts coming loose underneath the column, but I'm not sure what thats all about.
                  What he said. The mechanic at the Trans shop just tightened a few bolts underneath the column and the problem was solved.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                  X