Battery Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Light

My battery/charging light has been coming on occasionally for about a week now. It would be on for a a few seconds and would usually come on if it was in gear. Today it stayed on for a pretty long time (compared to before) about 30-40 seconds...
    There are no noticeable symptoms however. It starts fine...it was even in the low 30's late last week. It started kinda hard one morning... it ran a little bit rough for a couple seconds but it wasnt like it didnt have enough power...

Where is a good place to start looking to figure this out?
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

check battery voltage with the engine running and the lights on......you should have at least 13.5 volts at idle, if you dont check cable connections and the alternator.

check battery voltage with engine off.....it should be 12v or more.....lower and it might be going bad

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      check battery voltage with the engine running and the lights on......you should have at least 13.5 volts at idle, if you dont check cable connections and the alternator.

check battery voltage with engine off.....it should be 12v or more.....lower and it might be going bad
      I forgot to mention that the battery is 3-4 months old.

Yeah I haven't gotten around to checkin battery voltage yet. I'll do that tomorrow...
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Battery tests out normally. 14.3 volts It is a random issue though so maybe the wires a little loose or something. I tightened my post clamps...
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I'm gonna say your alternator is going

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmerc View Post
            I'm gonna say your alternator is going
            Thats what I was thinking...but I'm in denial
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
            X