Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 MGM 2DSD LS, new to forum

Hi,

I've been putting around this forum for some time and had thought I had an old account someplace. I'm glad to see that there are others with the same model and aspirations to possibly make the car into something it wasn't or could have been - like a retro version of the late Marauder.

My ride (minus the chrome tips) can be seen on cardomain (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/285573) and I really haven't moved forward as much I was wanted to due to finances.

The car is starting to show it's age, rust on the trunk lid, and bottom lip of the doors - visible when the car door is open.

The interior is dark blue with leather seats. As you can see I grew tired of the drip marks from the rain on the side, and removed the door trim.
    tires and rims are two sizes, the exhaust is custom and with a brass cap n' rotor and K/N filter I've pretty much been satisfied with its performance.
    I recently had the rear seals replaced the the front-end redone.

I recently heard an 83 or 85 with the 351C and sounded good, though I'm unsure about how much HP the stock AOD can handle, and what bolt-ons can be done to get more power. Currently with the duals the AOD performs OK, and no burning, though it shifts about 5-10mph later than the shift-marks on the odometer.

Thanks again for any help.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Welcome!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome neighbor. You are about an hour away from me. I remember looking at that car years ago on car domain.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

welcome to gmn!
        a properly working and maintained stock aod can take up to 400 hp

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Nice 2-door!
          what are those wheels? they look interesting... any close-up pics?
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

Nice 2-door!
            what are those wheels? they look interesting... any close-up pics?
            Those are Centerline Pulsars. I agree, they look very interesting on your car. I like them. Nice looking tudor, welcome to this beautiful wealth of knowledge and opinion!

Comment

I posted a closeup pic of the wheel and tire (albeit no so crisp a pic) on the cardomain link above.

I don't believe Centerline carries the Pulsar wheel these days.
              The tire is a Vogue tyre. The sizes are also listed on the cardomain page, yet they are:
              [front] P225/60R16::7" wheel; [rear] P235/60R16::8" wheel.

Now one would say, "if the sizes are different wouldn't it affect the odometer?".
              Yes, and I did the math recently. In 10000mi, the front tires would rotate <1%more (or 7.5 miles extra), and the rear <1%less (or 7.5 miles less). So, at the rear wheel 60mph is approximately 59.3-59.6mph.
              sigpic
              302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Welcome neighbor. You are about an hour away from me. I remember looking at that car years ago on car domain.
                About where do you live? I'm in eastern nassau county.
                sigpic

Comment

sweet gmq!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                    About where do you live? I'm in eastern nassau county.
                    Whitestone.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I took some pictures of my vehicle, and yes there are rusty parts (what do you expect for a car parked in the street with all of the winter road salt?):

Some of the pics might be filed under "technical" but just to explain other posts I have made already pt 1 of 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rt_pillar_win.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1260992Click image for larger version

Name:	missing_cat.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1260993Click image for larger version

Name:	3way_weld.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1260994Click image for larger version

Name:	swaybar.jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1260995Click image for larger version

Name:	twin_chb_18.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1260996

1) Side window, notice molding beneath pillar light in polished alum under plastic decal; The shiny stuff is already there. I wonder what other items are painted or glued-over metal.
                      2) This is where the mechanic lied and welded pipe and replaced the upper cats (he shouldn't have lied at charged my parents $300+ for non-existant cats; this was done after I purch the car in '94.
                      3) The weld job to the 3-way cat from the header flange.
                      4) I believe this is the factory front sway bar.
                      5) H-pipe to dual 18" cherrybomb glasspacks, welded.
                      Last edited by BigMikeIT; 04-19-2010, 11:19 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Pics pt2 of 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	driver.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1260997Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1260998Click image for larger version

Name:	left_fender.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1260999Click image for larger version

Name:	rt_corner_HL.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1261000Click image for larger version

Name:	semi_pol.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1261001

6) driver side, notice no external door guard - makes it look like a 70s car
                        7) Removed plastic guard from bumper, will have something else fabricated.
                        8) Left fender shot, a bit of pollen, but this original paint still shines well for a hand polish job. Some areas the paint is wearing thin though.
                        9) JCwhitney H1/H4 light blinders, the NYS State and local cops don't care
                        10) 1st polish phase of those Centerline Pulsars. Still need to clean the vogue walls though.
                        sigpic

Comment

looks like your off to a good start! what are the benifits of having them chrome things over the headlights?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I am guessing that you can use your high beams and not blind on coming traffic.
                            ~David~

Comment

Not sure how I missed this, Welcome, and Lovely car. I like the rims... A lot. Glad you went with whitewalls too.
                              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X