Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cats

What is the law in ny regarding removing catalytic converters?

(if this is in the wrong area, please move it)
    2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (Frost-Bite)

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

it wont pass inspection in NY, its a visual inspection after 1984

you can be sneaky and hollow them out, but you will need MIL eliminators or a custom tune so it doesnt trip a code, 96up have an obdII inspection where they scan the computer for codes and the self tests must run and pass, so you cant clear the codes and drive there and expect to pass. its done online, there is no way around it, unless you know someone, they can do the KOEO test to scan the vin, then quickly plug into the diagnostic port of a different car that passes KOER

Comment

Thanks for the info. I kinda expected NY to be strict like California.

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Is there a point in removing stock cats unless they're plugged or you're upgrading to bigger pipes?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

cali and NYC are actually worse than what we have to deal with(the rest of NY state)

Comment

i was just wondering. I have to stay legal for certain reasons...

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

i bought a new set of cats for the Tank. The original cats were two pre-cats, and two cats.
              The new upgraded Walker design had only two cats. No pre-cats.
              That makes working around that part of the motor that much better because there's more room. Sweeeeedish.

And NY sucks for that.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

ive never taken a car to emissions

Comment

Its only illegal if you get pinched for it.

You can buy converter 'shells' online to pass the visual, or hollow out the stock ones. O2 simulators, or a a call to your friendly neighborhood SCT (or similar) tuner will get you a tune, and the ability to cancel the downstream O2 sensor MIL caused by missing converters.

Now, I have also heard of stacking spark plug nonfoulers, and trapping steel wool between them, and then threading the O2 sensor into that as a way of fooling the MIL. You bore out one fouler, and thread the sensor into it. Pack the other fouler with steel wool, and thread the sensor into it. Then thread it all into the O2 bung. This pulls the sensor out of the exhaust stream, but still exposes it to the exhaust.

It works for alot of Dodge truck guys. Its cheap, and worth a try before you spend $300+ on custom tuning, or even $50 on O2 sims.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

where can you get cat shells online? thats interesting...

if you do research, you can build your own MIL eliminator for like $5 with a resistor from radio shack

Comment

Can't any mechanic worth his salt smell that your car has no cats? My friend has bolt on cats in his car that he bolts on for inspection and then removes and bolts straight pipe in it's place. Im not sure how he gets around computer issues.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I honestly dont think most mechanics care, its more an issue of getting caught. I know NY, at least wny anyway, has undercover agents that take cars in to see if they catch people, I've heard of stupid stuff like missing rear seatbelts. the mechanic loses inspection license, faces serious fines, and even jailtime if thers an accident and someone is seriously injured or dies.

its just a visual inspection and an obd2 scan here, Im not from NYC, but they used to use a sniffer down there

Comment

(OP is from rochester, same rules as buffalo)

Comment

In NH you can get your car inspected pretty easily...... apparently all you need to do to get license is dance on your head and make funny faces or something. I'm not an idiot and I fix obvious safety hazards IE, brakes and front end components, but the silly stuff like emissions (which is just visual for cars as old as mine) I get by. I even know a guy who prints his own stickers..... Not sure I would want to get caught doing that.
                            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I love living in ohio, ran off-road pipes on my mustangs for years.
                              sigpic
                              Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                              Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Working...
                              X