Rear end noob needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear end noob needs help

Looking at a whole rear differential for $50. Its a 3.08 8.8 inch ford which im pretty sure is whats in my 97 grand marquis? I was told it would fit if i had a 31 spline axel it would be a perfect fit. Do i, and if not would it be easy to buy some for not a whole lot like maybe out of a junk yard and rig it up still with my air suspension/disc breaks?
    79 Grand Marquis

If your GM's axle code is Y, then you have the 3:08 ratio.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Its a 28 spline. There are many many variations of the Ford 8.8. You need to have one out of a panther chassis car from 83-97 or it wont fit. Ideally you want 92-97 so its an exact replacement.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ford used 8.8's in anything rwd that could come with a V-8. Fox chassis, Exploders, pick-ups, you name it. The spline count only matters if you're swapping internals. It's the externals (suspension arm mounts, hub-to-hub dimension, stuff like that) that you need to get right. Easiest way to do that is to make sure it's out of a Panther chassis.
        '84 Grand Marquis
        Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

So i could do just an internal swap and i may only need to change the axels ect? I have a single rear end right now, so i could take the internals out possibly change axels and put in a posi ? Sorry, im sort of dumb when it come to this, know very little.
          79 Grand Marquis

Comment

If you're serious, you need to find out what a transmission shop will charge for the work. This isn't really for a noob to do. You will need about $300 in specialty tool just for openers.
            '84 Grand Marquis
            Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Yes, you can change the rear gears.

yes, you can change the carrier to make it a traction lock

Yes, you really ought to pay someone who knows how to do this work.

Be aware that the outer axle bearings ought to be changed, and the outer seals must be changed when you do this. Its also very possible that the axles themselves need to be replaced. I'd probably also spring for new pinion bearing and seals since its going to be out. The inner bearings you can also change but they're likely OK.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had to have the rear axle on my 88 rebuilt.. the only good bearing was the divers side wheel bearing. the passenger side was so bad it etched the axle (spacer bearing used) and the carriage bearings were about like gravel and the pinion bearing was shot to hell too. Wish I had the $$$ for the powertrax locker when I did that, but oh well... next time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X