CFI -- desmog it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI -- desmog it?

Just wondering, how much would a CFI engine be effected by removing the smog equipment? How about just pulling the belt off the smog pump and A/C? Would the engine light come on?

(wish I would have paid more attention to the CFI talk in the past, but who'd a thought I'd own CFI?)

pulling the belt from the smog pump will do nothing. ANd I do mean that in terms of performance or CE light. About all it will do is not pump air to the catalytic converters and the air ports on the back of the heads. Honestly not much reason to pull the belt unless you plan to remove all the connected junk along with the brackets for weight saving/general engine bay cleanup.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep.
      I ran for years with no smog equipment and no problems.
      I recently put it all back on, and didnt notice any change.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah, the smog pump is a pretty non-demanding device. It's shaft is ball bearings on both ends. Basically inside it's a drum with a vane that is operated by a crankshaft that forces air into the smog shit. You wouldn't save much on weight either by removing it. Might as well let it do what it does best.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll probably leave it alone for now.

Comment

I removed all that shit from my car.

Since that air tube was broke, it made a difference...

Plus, I aint got cats
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I took it all off too cause my new cats did not have the air tubes the right size. So I took it all off and my car runs ok but I dont pass emmisions because of too much NOX emmisions but that should not be related to the smog system. But my engine bay looks cleaner!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i removed 100+# of emissions shit off of my 85, that does not include the associated wiring, or the HVAC system
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                X