{ENGINE} Ignition coil - options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE} Ignition coil - options

I noticed that the plug connector on my ignition coil (looks like the end of a spark plug) is corroded and worn. It's so bad that the wire that plugs into it doesn't sit right and is loose.

My question is, what are my options for replacement? Is there some sort of upgrade I could do, or am I limited to stock?

I'll try and get a pic up later...

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
    5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
    Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

You can go to Advance Auto and buy a TFI Blaster coil, by MSD...

40 bucks.. Great coil, if I do say so myself (I run the canister version)

Justin runs one on his carb motor and loves it...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I used to have a MSD Blaster 6AL spark box with the Blaster 2 coil and a MSD Pro-billet distributor. I have since sold all that junk and am using the stock 14 year old Duraspark box, a stock reman distributor, and a stock coil. I have noticed ZERO difference from the two setups.

Save your money.

Comment

I notice a difference in drivability and startup with my 6AL.

Well worth the 225 I paid for it, IMO...

Comment

you didnt notice a damn difference cause your motor was stock. Go see how many actual race cars run a stock ignition

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
            you didnt notice a damn difference cause your motor was stock. Go see how many actual race cars run a stock ignition
            easy there boys, play nice :naughty:
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

P71Times2 has commented on this matter several times. Unless you're running 6k or above, you don't need the latest whiz-bang ignition components. Money well spent somewhere else, like suspension upgrades or a motor-build savings account!

Comment

Also, Tom's motor is stock. I have more modifications than him--carb, intake, headers. He noticed some differences, but stated a plus was startibility--why does his ignition need the help and my box doesn't? After sitting overnight, my stock POS engine and rattletrap Duraspark unit starts up strong with the first turn of the key.

Comment

Plus, im paving the way for more future mods

Comment

id really trust my motor to a stock ignition when there is a 100 shot of mitrous in it. all it would take is 1 cylinder to not fire for a cycle or two and you have a nice explosion. thats why i went with a MSD that and it uses a fraction of the wiring that the duraspark does.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

NAPA has a replacement connector for you, 5 bux!!!
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i;m running a jegs tfi coil on my towncar.......accell, msd, also make a replacement coil......supposed to have a higher spark voltage, and cost about the same as a stock coil

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
                          Also, Tom's motor is stock. I have more modifications than him--carb, intake, headers. He noticed some differences, but stated a plus was startibility--why does his ignition need the help and my box doesn't? After sitting overnight, my stock POS engine and rattletrap Duraspark unit starts up strong with the first turn of the key.
                          Do you want this kind of instability betweek 4 and 6k, when racing (or using that rpm range)? Or would you rather have a smooth curve from 3-6k?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

My thoughts on this. If you have a stock motor and have no problems with it now, you do not need to spend a lot of money on aftermarket ignition especially if you don't run it hard. Stock parts are just fine for grocery getter highway cruiser type rides. If a better than stock coil exists for about the same price, go for it because it can't really hurt any, but I can't see the need to convert the ignition system over to something more expensive and aftermarket unless there is an actual need for it. If you race, have a highly modded engine, run NOS or anything where having good strong spark is important, then by all means toss that stock crap. Ignition systems only show thier weakness at high RPM anyway. Reduced charge time results in weaker spark when a hotter spark is actually needed. Electronic ignition is much better about this than breaker point stuff but its still an issue. Capactive discharge systems are great for high RPM because they don't get weaker at high RPM to the same degree.

87grandmarquis: I'd go stock, or one of the hotter TFI coils that Scott mentioned since they cost about the same.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't mean to start such a ruckus...

My car is stock right now, and most likely it will stay pretty close to stock for a while. I don't plan on any hardcore racing. I can see how a high performance ignition system might be right for some, but for me I think an MSD coil will work fine. The main objective was a repair, and a small upgrade for minimal cost is a nice bonus.

Thanks for the input, everybody...

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis
                              5.0L V8

Performance Mod Status: Planning Phase
                              Interior Mod Status: Planning Phase

Comment

Working...
                              X