How Much Can a Lopo Take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity; how much power can a lopo block take before it rips itself a new one?

Packman

Don't take my opinion as true... but I think the lopo is identical to the HO besides the heads, cam, and intake. Like I said, I may be wrong or most likely wrong.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

What I meant is how much hp/tq can a lopo block take before it splits? Will a main bearing girdle help things? Just curious during this quiet day at work.

Packman

Comment

From what I've heard, the lopo block is one of the stronger blocks to build up a 302 from...
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

So with a decent bottom end build, a TrickFlow Street Burner engine kit, and whatever supporting mods, you think it will hold up?

Packman

Comment

500+ hp is where you run into problems with the block not being able to handle it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

~500hp the block quits at. If you had HO pistons, the bottom end will hold up to anything that the block will tolerate. Theres no need to fancy up the bottom end unless you plan on rpms over 6000 or so. Honestly I'd do any real build with an HO shortblock just for that reason, or replace the stock pistons and carry on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep 500, at the wheels, thats about 575 at the flywheel

Comment

What about a stock 351 block? the f4 roller.

What can be done to strengthen the 302/351 Windsor blocks to take more? Or is it cheaper to just buy a performance block?

Just been wondering.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

stock 351 blocks will handle around 750 FLYwheel hp

the pre74 302 blocks are the strongest, then the mexican blocks; those will take aorund 650 FLYwheel

then 75-79 blocks are the next strongest

80-85 are the weakest

the only thing that you can really do beyond that is go aftermarket to DART etc.

Comment

these numbers are if you are staying under 6500 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                        stock 351 blocks will handle around 750 FLYwheel hp

the pre74 302 blocks are the strongest, then the mexican blocks; those will take aorund 650 FLYwheel

then 75-79 blocks are the next strongest

80-85 are the weakest

the only thing that you can really do beyond that is go aftermarket to DART etc.
                        Thanks.. The 351 I'm looking at is a stock block w/ stroke kit so I was just wondering. I doubt Ill hit the 700hp mark. My goal is 600hp at the fly.
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                          So with a decent bottom end build, a TrickFlow Street Burner engine kit, and whatever supporting mods, you think it will hold up?

Packman
                          this is actually what I am planning on doing, just find a 5.0 (doesn't matter which one), have it punched to 306 (piston problem solved), up the compression a bit, and run the Street Burner Engine kit.

In the end it should be about a 3k build, with netting close to 400hp-ish
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of what to do with a lopo after a swap. 500rwhp and we're cleaning the sheets. Okay, nice tidbit of info. Thanks guys.

Packman

Comment

about 400-500hp just like the HO.. once you get into the 400hp range your pushing it.
                              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X