Update on the Floorpan Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on the Floorpan Repair

The car has been sitting for about 4 weeks now. It all started as a "little carpet cleaning" upon which i discovered rust when lifting the carpet to better clean it. The leak was found to be from the hinge bolts for the hood (passenger side only), and not the hvac airbox like i thought it would be. The water traveled to the rear passenger floor and rusted over the years. The seats and carpet were then removed. Other rust spots were found beneath the gas pedal, and in the drivers rear floor. All of the factory sound deadender was removed (took two weeks, a metal putty knife, heat gun, and gasoline). I picked up a sandblaster and have started to remove the rust and remaining primer to prep for POR15. I am going to POR15 90% of the floor, reseal any seams, and Dynamat the floor. Also i have to POR15 and seal around the hinge bolts. Initial pics of the floorpan can be seen below. I will update the pics soon. Please post your comments, questions, or advice. Thanks

1986 Grand Marquis LS Coupe
    [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Sounds like you are making some serious progress!

I did this in the 83 I had. Sure, its a pain, but NOTHING compares to the pain of removing the residue from a removed vinyl top!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

keep up teh good work mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks, Tomorrow is dust/sand removal day. I finished the sandblasting and now it's time to clean. I think I'm still gonna end up taking the dash apart because of the dust. I had thought covering the dash with blankets and taping the all the components over would be enough but that dust gets everywhere. I also have to make sure to clean out all the hvac vents and airbox because i just replaced the evap core and don't want it to get dirty. I also sandblasted the bottom seams on the door and will Por15 and reseam when i do the floorpan. Will keep you all posted.

1986 Grand Marquis LS Coupe
        [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
        X