350-385 HP explorer motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350-385 HP explorer motor

I have a question, now I know there is a vareity of ways to acheive this, but using the stock long block what is needed to make 350-385 HP form an explorer motor? is it possible to do this with just intake and cam choices? I basically inerested in a streetable engine and was curious how much power the gt-40s an P heads could make before porting?

nitrous oxide? Junk the heads, cam. Around that level the 19lb'ers would be maxed,so new injectors,plus mass air meter,not to mention the fuel pump wouldn't be able to keep up too. The intake could also start being a restriction at that point,so a new intake,holley or edlebrock. Atleast 1' 5/8'' headers,full 2.5'' exhaust. Best bet is to do a stroker if you want an easy all motor 385 hp.
    [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Easiest way to do it. .
      http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...nd_kits2.shtml
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 89crownlx View Post
        is it possible to do this with just intake and cam choices?

I basically inerested in a streetable engine and was curious how much power the gt-40s an P heads could make before porting?
        NO

300ish

Comment

AFR165 heads, HO cam, headers, 1.6 RR and new springs will give you a very nice oompfh to your ride.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

350-385hp will take a little more than that ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
              It would be nice if that was an EFI setup. I would consider it with the 351 Im going to build.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Some trick flow 190cc fast as cast twisted wedge heads, 1.7 roller rockers, efi super vic intake, medium or tall elbow your choice, a 90mm throttle body, and a custom grind cam specific for your setup.

proper headers and exhaust also I forgot about that
                Last edited by 1980c10; 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM. Reason: forgot sumpin

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

O.K. so 300 is about all youd get out of an explorer motor without touching the heads? and i'm thinking carbed anyhow, reason I'm asking is the FRPP engine part num M-6007-X302 has the alminum GT-40s and an E-cam rated at 340hp-310 ft lbs, now I'm sure these heads flow better than the cast iron ones not sure how mauch,but being as I have heard the Ford cams are outdated compared to some other cams I thought it may be possible the acheive this kind of power at least from a ironheaded unit? what say you? that cam isn't to radical?

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                    Some trick flow 190cc fast as cast twisted wedge heads, 1.7 roller rockers, efi super vic intake, medium or tall elbow your choice, a 90mm throttle body, and a custom grind cam specific for your setup.

proper headers and exhaust also I forgot about that
                    thats about 450hp, and rather pricey

Comment

Just making sure he reaches his goals lol. It prolly about a $3000 combo but results will not disapoint.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

O.K. so 300 is about all youd get out of an explorer motor without touching the heads?
                        Yep, that's about it, unless you hit up a custom cam grinder (one that doesn't insult first, and ask questions later) for advice on which cam to use. The other problem with the P heads is that they don't respond too well to porting, so you're kind of stuck with a 300-ish motor unless you resort to supercharging/turbo schtuff.

Comment

O.K. so 300 is about all youd get out of an explorer motor without touching the heads? and i'm thinking carbed anyhow, reason I'm asking is the FRPP engine part num M-6007-X302 has the alminum GT-40s and an E-cam rated at 340hp-310 ft lbs, now I'm sure these heads flow better than the cast iron ones not sure how mauch,but being as I have heard the Ford cams are outdated compared to some other cams I thought it may be possible the acheive this kind of power at least from a ironheaded unit? what say you? that cam isn't to radical?
                          from what info i have gathered the E cam is not a good cam for our cars, ive looked into it for the truck forums and most of them say the e cam is suckaka
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

There are certainly much better cams out there.
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                              There are certainly much better cams out there.
                              Right, I know there are what I'm saying is they get 340 hp out of their engine with that cam, so those heads are worth 40 more horse over the Iron gt-40s, but with a much better cam one should get closer to that power right? do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                              X