Manual trans swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual trans swap.

Since I got my GM I've never liked the trannys shift points, how it shifts, etc. Now it seems to be sorta on its way out. it shifts into OD (@38-40mph) quickly followed by TQ Conv lock-up at too low of speeds (like 50mph). And it takes a while to shift from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 under moderate/high acceleration. Not to mention it sucks for towing anything on the highway.

I know the 4r70's are a little pricey to have rebuilt, plus it'd be more considering I'd want the trans a little bit beefed up, or with different shift points etc... And I've wanted a manual car/truck for a while but they are pretty hard to find and I like my whale. I was talking to a friend who's also a fellow MGM owner...and he told me there was a place that sells a 5 spd mustang trans (tr3650 or whatever) with everything you need (minus the clutch pedal and master/slave cyls.) for $5-800.

I'm wondering how much a clutch pedal and master/slave cyls would be? and the flywheel? Can i just get any 4.6L Mustang flywheel? What computer/ecu stuff needs to be done?
    And are there anyother transmissions that would work? Like a T-5? Any trans I could find cheaper?

And how much do you think it'd be to have it installed? I am mechanically capable of installing the trans, but i dont have some of the required tools or the equipment (like a lift, or a tranny jack, etc).
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght=trans+swap

the search button is pretty wicked.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Hahah. Must have missed that one.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
      X