Cost to Beef up AOD/4r70w vs. TCI AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost to Beef up AOD/4r70w vs. TCI AOD

I've been going into the "Just how much is this going to cost me" phase recently, and with the Engine I want to build, I know I'm going to need a tranny upgrade (which next to wiring, is my biggest weakness in cars).

Engine Wise I'm looking at a 302 HO motor punched to 306, along with a Trickflow Street Burner Power package (supposed to make 350-360 horsepower)

I know that the Stock AOD won't be able to handle that, so I was pondering what upgrades I would have to do. Correct me If I'm wrong, but the valve body is weakest link in the trans correct? I have been pricing transmissions, and I was looking at the TCI Streetfighter AOD, which costs 1900 bucks (a little pricey, but still cheaper than the engine setup.) About how much would it cost to beef up a stock AOD to withstand up to 400hp?

I have also been thinking about maybe a 4r70w swap, because the are a lot more durable, and they have computer controlled shifts. I THINK a 4r70w can withstand that power, and a shift kit can make the shifts firmer and quicker. Or am I wrong.

I'm a noob when It comes to transmissions, and when the time comes when I do have the engine ready (this summer's project) I want a transmission that has quick firm shifts, and also can withstand about 400hp (in case I do any other upgrades). I'm kinda on a budget, but I won't hesitate on dropping money on somthing that works and is reliable and fun (hence the 3k motor build in the works), it would just take longer to accomplish.

I'm going to have my dad do the tranny work, because I will inevitably screw it up somewhere. I just need the most efficient option that will provide the most fun in the end.

PS: 5 speed is out of the question, there are two people In this house that can drive stick (me and my dad), and other people want to drive the car.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

the stock AOD will be fine. add a good valve body, a good converter, a trans cooler, and a high rev governor

Ive never used TCI, but their reputation isnt very good, for AOD stuff anyway

join this forum and ask ?'s-
    www.clickclickracing.com

Comment

I'd stay away from the TCI unit. It seems a bit pricey for a somewhat-vanilla AOD....

Concerning the 4R70W setup; make sure you get a 1998-up 4R70W.

I'd hit the clickclick link in Jay's post, and do some soul searching.

Comment

ok, joining up now. Thanks for the help guys!
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
        X