Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD 1st to 2nd to 3rd too fast

hey guys,

my cv aod transmission changes gears too soon, in other words the car doesnt fully utilize first or second gear. i take off at a light it, i have my foot on the gas with light pressure. when the transmission changes gears to second it stays for a short time and plops into third making the car bog.

this happens on D and OD

is there anything i can adjust to have a longer 2nd gear?

i adjusted the tv rod but that didnt help.

under moderate or heavy throttle the car changes gears quite well. :confused:
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

get a street level 1 valve body?

yeah... the economy shift kinda sux. One of these days I'm going to learn the AOD shuffle so I can have mine stick in 2nd a little longer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the AOD shuffle will eventually kill it

not much to learn, it can only be done at WOT; start in 1, shift to D to grab second, a moment later pull it back down into 1, when its time to shift into 3rd, shift it back into D. thats the aod shuffle

you can put an HO governor in it, but it will raise your WOT shift points

Comment

Tightening the TV cable will raise the part throttle shift points. Be carful doing this adjustment without a gauge. Too high isn't so bad as it will make shifting harsh and very late, but doesn't really hurt anything. Too soft though and it will quickly burn up the clutch dics (like single digit miles kind of quick).

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          Tightening the TV cable will raise the part throttle shift points. Be carful doing this adjustment without a gauge. Too high isn't so bad as it will make shifting harsh and very late, but doesn't really hurt anything. Too soft though and it will quickly burn up the clutch dics (like single digit miles kind of quick).
          Lol. I've seen one go in 7 miles of driving with the TV cable loose.

Comment

Give it more pressure. Just make sure you mark where everything is now so you can put it back if needed. Also, make sure the bushing on the TV rod is intact. CFI cars have one too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love being able to drag out 2nd gear...I've got it to a point where I can hold it out almost as long as I want to. Not the same with first though
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

so far I've just learned to peddle it right for the transitions I want. half throttle in first... 3/4 in second... 1/4 in third... that is unless someone is being a total slow in front of me. then I have to let it shift into third... wait for them to speed up some more... press the peddle until it downshifts so I can pick up speed again... repeat as needed. sometimes I end up having to repeat 3 times. Though this has more to do with the wide range gears.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is the shifting trick that lets you abuse the hell out of your trans too. Launch in D, and just as it goes to shift into 2nd put the shifter into 1, and it will engage 2nd gear with the reverse clutch pack engaged, and it bypasses the accumulator......hello 2nd gear chirp!

Takes some practice, and expect to have to buy a new planetary set pretty soon after that. I got about 4-5 months of doing that every once in a while and then found my planetary gears all chewed up and broken.....it also had 230,000 miles on it, but all the same it probably would have lasted far longer if not for my foolish funs!

Comment

yeah, rowing the AOD and forcing it to hold second does not make it very happy.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      yeah, rowing the AOD and forcing it to hold second does not make it very happy.
                      yeah but god I hate how the AOD shifts stock blah makes me hate autmatics even though I loved my old kitted c-6.

Comment

with the epoxy mod you can manual the aod fine

Comment

epoxy mod you say?

EDIT: not that I want to even try such a thing, just curious
                          Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-04-2010, 11:36 PM.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

http://www.clickclickracing.com/foru...ern-(EPOXY-Mod)

same thing as lentech

Comment

I had an AOD with the 1-2-OD shift pattern, but overall I didn't like it. For a drag car it works great, and is one of the must haves. Being able to choose how long you hold 1st and 2nd is great for light to light acceleration, but I REALLY missed not being able to keep it from going into OD. So on those long drives through the suburbs at 40-45mph, or up the side of a mountain there is no way to keep it from going between 3rd and 4th over and over and over.

Comment

Working...
                              X