camshaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camshaft question

Hey guys. I was just wondering on how big of a cam can I run in the 351 without changing the torque converter? I am planning on running gt40 heads on it and would like to have a bigger cam. I wasn't sure of what would be a good cam with the stock torque converter.

Nothing lol. The stock H.O. cam isnt even good on a stock convertor in my opinion

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

just be glad it's not an aero trans... the stock engine kills those converters. That was the first thing I had to fix on the 93 vic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have heard a supercoupe converter is good?

Comment

Originally posted by 89crownlx View Post
          I have heard a supercoupe converter is good?
          It's good for a couple of hundred more RPM....and that's about all.

I'd recommend at least a 2400-2500 rpm stall unit.

Comment

The 351 converter stalls even lower than the standard 302 converter. Its truly horrible.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I read somewhere that the aode convertor stalls around 2400 is there any truth to that and could you get one out of a 94-95 5.0 stang and bolt it to a regular aod?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But I think mustang trannys are a little different than ours. But i'm not sure about the torque converter.

Comment

The aod has some differences. The shift arm on the tranny is different and the mustang has a higher shift governor. Other than that identical, I have a mustang tranny in my marquis. I'm just not sure what the differences between the aod and aode are, I would assume the convertors are interchangeable as long as you get one from a 5.0 but .......
                  We all know where assuming gets us.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                    I'm just not sure what the differences between the aod and aode are, I would assume the convertors are interchangeable as long as you get one from a 5.0 but .......
                    If you're attempting to think about using an AODE convertor in an AOD....stop right there, lol. To keep this simple, it won't work.

Comment

easy enough lol. I wasnt thinking about it just aking suggestions for the op. I want a higher stall than that

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Working...
                      X