Help... I want to try a wild mod, need wiring advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help... I want to try a wild mod, need wiring advice

I recently disabled the O/D OFF button on my shifter and moved it to a dash mounted switch, cause there was an unused switch already on the dash. Now, I want to use the button in the shifter for an engine start button. Does anyone know which wires in the steering column control the starter relay? Or where I can find a schematic for the harness? I'm going to wire a kill switch under the dash, so it will only work once per key rotation. Which wires...???

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

First off, what year and model are we talking about here?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1999 Crown Victoria LX

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

once the woman gets off the other computer, i can scan the starting system schematics from the Hanes Manual in. I'm going to attempt the start button shortly.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

You need what on the left.
          The wire running to the switch is YELLOW.
          The wire coming out of the switch is WHITE/PINK

I am going to make an starting system schematic sticky in the aero/whale forum because we're transferring everything out of here and sorting it out and making things better.

hope this helps.

-ryan s.
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

relays relays relays and fuses. Make sure you understand the schematics and don't start just putting wires together. Besides I think the OD button is an on off switch so you may need to alter something. I will try to find more schematics and info about both of these circuits when I find some extra time.

Comment

You need to run wires from the ignition switch up to the shifter.
              I just converted my car to switches and push button start. I don't need a key to start my car.

Read some of this:
              http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=18521&page=10

It shoud be the A4/B4 circuit on the ignition swtich.
              If you disconnect the switch, all the pins are labeled. You will need a momentary/spring switch for the starter, or else the starter will stay engaged and you'll be SOL.
              All you will need to do is cut the A4 and B4 wires and run them to wherever you want your start engine button. And it will turn over the starter. You'll still have to put the key into "RUN/ON".
              You don't need a kill switch.
              Everytime you hit the start engine button, the starter will turn, but nothing will happen. The fuel pump isn't on. The computer is off. No spark will happen. Unless your key in in "ON". You don't need a kill switch.
              You will be able to turn the key to "START", but nothing will happen, because of the start engine button.
              The ignition switch is on the bottom side of the steering column.
              I recommened ATLEAST 10 GUAGE wires to extend everything. There's a whole lot of current running through those things.

Any questions, just ask.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

yeah 10 gauge minimum and non of that cheapy wallyworld stuff either ive seen it start to many fires
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

How are you going to run 10 gauge wires through the shifter stalk and the OD button isn't going to handle it. Thus why I stated the importance of relays and fuses. That way you don't need to extend any heavy wire. Just run the proper smaller ones to the proper relay and fuse your power wire for the relay and use the OD button to ground the relay. Much simpler and safer than extending 10 gauge wires to a switch that won't handle it. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                    I recommened ATLEAST 10 GUAGE wires to extend everything. There's a whole lot of current running through those things..
                    There isn't THAT much.... Seriously guys... "At least" 10ga? What do you wire your car with.. 4GA cable? :err:
                    You are not really extending anything (you do not have to anyway..). You can splice in under the dash. It would be silly to splice in at the solenoid and have 2 sets of wires running back and forth.
                    The point about the switch not being able to handle the current is valid. You would need to run a second relay under your dash or wherever you wish to place it. If you place it in your engine compartment, then your "heavy" wire would be much shorter. If you use a hot wire directly from the battery or hot side of the solenoid, etc, then you could wire a second button in the engine compartment for bumping your engine over for setting rockers, etc..
                    Last edited by Mercracer; 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM.

Comment

This is very simple. Use a relay that matches the fuse even a little over wouldn't hurt because it won't pull it normally but if it did you are protected with the fuse already there. This should allow you to do what you want and you won't even need a fuse unless you wire 86 terminal to it's own power (which I would do anyway) then you can use some ohms law and a meter to figure out what fuse you need.
                      Last edited by ; 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Your relay looks funny.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Your relay looks funny.
                          Not if you want the starter to engage any time the transmission is in either neutral or park....

Comment

No. I was just rudely criticizing the drawing of a relay. Normally pin 30 is vertical and pin 87a horizontal.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Never mind, there is a switch... Was that there before?

Comment

Working...
                              X