Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust pipe length/ over axle?

Hi,

About how much does the pipe bend over the axle affect the sound?

I only have the original 3-way cats onboard, and I'm wondering if my engine isn't putting enough exhuast flow out to make the crackly glasspack sound.

It's just a deep throaty sound; Not pingy like a flowmaster.
    If I accell and let the rpms get high without allowing the AOD to shift, I hear some popping.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

a cat is completly different from a glasspack thats why it doesnt sound like a glass pack

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

I didn't write it clearly. I have glasspacks plus the 3-way cats (oxy input).
      And I'm duplicating another post of mine already.

The question is, Is the over-the-axel exhaust pipe extension affecting the sound much?
      sigpic
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
      COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

yeah, getting exhaust out from under the car makes it a lot quieter.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's going to be a lot quieter with full tail pipes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I dont think your gonna get the cackle sound your after with the cats still in place.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
              I dont think your gonna get the cackle sound your after with the cats still in place.
              Ditto. So far as over-the-axle tailpipes, the last car I owned with a set of glasspacks was the '71 Torino wagon (last seen in scene 23, in that craigslist ad in OTB that I posted). It had over-the-axle tailpipes AND glasspacks, and it was deliciously rumbly/poppy/cackly.

Of course, it was also equipped with a mildly nasty 351C, so that may have had a bit to do with it....

If the cats aren't a requirement....I'd 'lose' them.

Comment

I doubt the bend itself will change the note that is coming out the tail.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  I doubt the bend itself will change the note that is coming out the tail.
                  Apparently you've never heard of 'Bend Harmonics', which originated over at CVN.

Comment

considering I'm not part of CVN... go figure... no

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

not only less overall noise, but probably less "drone" at low RPMs. I've never been in a car with pipes dumped over the axle that I liked, other than a highly modified camaro, and those were side exit, as opposed to just ending under floor.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                      X