What do I gain with insulating the stock air tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I gain with insulating the stock air tube

I'm thinking of insulating my stock air tube on my 1996 MGM.

I mean the tube between the MAF and the TB.

I think (or actually hope) that my engine gets cooler air that way.
    And since cooler air has more oxygen, I hope it somehow benefits the efficiency of the engine.

I would like your opinion on this.
    Is it worth the effort?
    If so, what is the best way to insulate?

If not, why not?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Arie
    BDRUP BDRUP BDRUP

If you drive long distances it could be worth it. It wouldn't be hard to do. So it's hard to say that it isn't worth the try. Something like this would work good.

Linky

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
      If you drive long distances it could be worth it. It wouldn't be hard to do. So it's hard to say that it isn't worth the try. Something like this would work good.

Linky
      I was thinking of the aluminumfoil on bubblewrap kinda insulation from the hardwarestore for a few bucks. Wrap the air tube even twice.
      Or is that a bad?

thanks,

Greetings,

Arie
      BDRUP BDRUP BDRUP

Comment

The more the marrier!

It's worth a shot, used some good zip ties to hold it on.

Comment

I'm not really sure how much it would help, but it can't hurt any. Just make sure the insulation is fastened well so it doesnt come off and get stuck in the belt or fan. That would make a nasty mess.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From a technical standpoint, this could actually negatively affect economic performance. For emissions and fuel economy based efficiency, intake air temp. should be approx. 100 degrees F. Insulating your air intake could prevent intake air temp. from actually rising due to underhood temp. *TECHNICALLY SPEAKING*, good for go-fast performance, bad for economic/emissions related efficiency.

Comment

Not sure what size the 4.6 TB is... but check this out. I used it on my supercharged Bonneville and my Dad's Durango with positive results.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...3800_Induction
              '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
              Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
              CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

That looks a lot like RV ductwork or marine bilge blower hose.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did this to a 2005 dodge ram 4.7L, it worked well. (I did the lower airbox too).
                  Former panther owner
                  1981 CV 351 4bbl
                  1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

The color black likes to absorb radiant heat, so the shiney duct insulation might work well.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                    X