TFS Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFS Cams

Anybody have any history with these cams from trickflow?
    Camshaft, Track Max, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 283/291,Lift .499/.510, Ford, 5.0, 5.8L
    TFS-51402000
    I was wanting to to know if you could run this cam in an explorer motor?

Ive never used it but some friends seemed happy with it
    there are some people over the corral that seem to like it
    people over at sbftech constantly talk about how horrible it is(but all they like is custom, and it has to be from a certain place or its junk)

reguardless, I suspect you need a converter and some gear

Comment

I have the Stage one (51402000) in my 351. I will let everyone know my impressions when I get it fired this year. I chose it because I have heard good things about it, and the TFS are also supposed to be better than the Ford letter cams. I have a 2000 stall and a 4R70W in the car. If that's not enough I may to with something closer to 2600-3000 stall
      sigpic
      https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
      1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
      1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
      2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
      2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

buddy of mine has the tfs stage 1 in ihis stang with eddy heads and ross pistons, shold be good to go.. i think
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

The satge one is the .499/.512 one right? i was curious abouth this cam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
            People over at sbftech constantly talk about how horrible it is(but all they like is custom, and it has to be from a certain place or its junk)
            Yeah, we had a visit here from an admin over there. Poor guy was convinced that someone here was slandering him. Apparently, we're all just a bunch of hayseeds who are idiots because we don't vaporize $50,000 worth of credit cards on car builds....and of course, there was no explaining to him that some of us here really don't give two shits about whether or not we've squeezed every last HP and sent ourselves into irrecoverable debt in the process. I think he spent a grand total of 48 hours, without a break, typing about how stupid this one particular guy was.

Moving onto actual tech....

So far as the Trick Flow cam is concerned....for an off-the-shelf cam, it's not too terribly bad. If it's going in a heavy car, as JayH here suggests, I'd seriously think about putting at least a 3.73 gear in the rear (maybe even a 4.10 gear), and at least a good 2500+ rpm stall convertor, as it's going to be a bit doggy off the bottom unless you do so. That's my experience with this cam, in two vehicles; it woke up both cars really nice from midrange to top end, but didn't do too great in boosting anything off of the bottom in a 302....if anything, one Mustang this cam went into slowed down off of the bottom, as the customer didn't do anything with rear end gears when he installed the cam (it still had 3.08's in it, lol).

There are also other issues, such as valvesprings, injectors, fuel system upgrades, etc....these also have to be addressed if you're going to toss in this cam.

Of course, there are newer, better cams out there, but if you're not going to upgrade the gears and add a convertor, I'd hold off on installing this cam.

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
              Yeah, we had a visit here from an admin over there. Poor guy was convinced that someone here was slandering him. Apparently, we're all just a bunch of hayseeds who are idiots because we don't vaporize $50,000 worth of credit cards on car builds....and of course, there was no explaining to him that some of us here really don't give two shits about whether or not we've squeezed every last HP and sent ourselves into irrecoverable debt in the process. I think he spent a grand total of 48 hours, without a break, typing about how stupid this one particular guy was.
              I bet the argumant was on a billet cam core, dual valve springs, or 3" exhaust.
              no offense, but most MILD budget builds that stay under 6000rpm are fine on a SADI core
              dual valve springs dont cool as well becuase the inner spring doesnt get cooled as much from the oil and tend to wear out alot faster, they arent needed on the same type of MILD budget build
              He will tell you himself that on a shorty header with a 2 1/2" collector, the exhaust pace is already set by the collector(or lack there of) and 3" exhaust is of little to no value
              this is the same guy that will spend hours on the internet arguing with people and insulting them, hours on the phone with people that arent ordering anything, yet he's months behind on his workload and blames it on other variables that are out of his control

there is a SADI vs billet thread on corral right know, that to me anyway, is rather comical

that argument was before I was here and Im guessing its deleted. I know there was another guy involved that talked like he hung out with people like John Force and Steve Petty, what a fucking joke he is

Comment

How would a TFS stage 1 perform in a 5.8L/351W? I know I will probably have to wait for Heretic, but I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!!!

LOL.

but seriously, now would be nice.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                X