Fuel guage sending unit voltage range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel guage sending unit voltage range?

I'm thinking of creating my own tripminder. Does anybody know what the voltage range is of the fuel guage sending unit? Since this is a carbureted car it won't be exact, but it should be an interesting experiment. Right now the plan is to measure fuel levels over a measured distance from the speed sensor and continously update it, thereby creating an average.

Nevermind... 14-18 ohms is empty, 155-165 ohms is full. That will work...

Comment

Stu,

You can actually pull the sending unit out pretty easy, just make sure you have 1/4 or less of a tank!

I learned the hard way!

But it is located on the front of the tank.

That way, you can pull out a multimeter, and test the resistance.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks for the location, haven't looked to be honest. Now I'll know where to tap into. Do you know if it has 12vdc going to it or does it use a difference voltage?

Comment

I aint really sure if it even uses voltage.

I just know it is a variable resistor.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

sounds interesting, and more do-able than the MCU OBD idea.

To me the only hard part would be to correlate readings from the sender to a numeric volume.
            What I'd do is just take readings with a VOM at full and empty, or (if you wanted to get this involved) would be to semi-permanantly install a VOM to the sender and fill her up at the gas pump stopping in gallon increments and recording the data readings.
            Id assume the response is linear, so you could plot a line to your data and use that function for your calculation.
            You'd have to adjust your 'max' to account for the portion of gas you can squeze in after the sender maxes out (if its even neglegable).
            I guess you could always note where the reading stops, and use that as your 'max'.

I dont know what volatge range the sender works on myself, or even if it used the voltage reading. Regardless I would do the above for this sort of project anyway, and Id guess that resistance would be a better reading to take for this, in case it only works over a small range of volts.

This would have been a cool project for the Instrumentation and Measurement course I took in college.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

a varying resistance will also 'show' a varying voltage on a meter, but it probably uses the resistance for the reading, most all sensors do.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I think there is a voltage regulator system under the dash for the fuel guage. also, the response isn't linear on these things at all. most cars are calibrated to have a larger amount of fuel from 1/1 to 1/2 on the guage than from 1/2 to 0/0. Mine for example is exactly 10 gallons down at 1/2 tank, and its a total 18 gallon capacity. From the 1986 shop manual
                  "The instrument voltage regulator (IVR) used with the fuel guage controls and and maintains and average pulsating value of 5.0V between input to guage system and system ground (sheet metal)"

full 8-12 ohms
                  empty 60-86 ohms.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the sending unit does not use dc+ .. the resistance is mesured id dc-.. Or in other words Ground potential..

Comment

right, it varies to ground like an oil pressure or temp sensor does. but the + side in this case is +5v instead of +12v.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X