Trim -- how do you remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim -- how do you remove it?

The piece on the top of the doors. I'm going after a parts car tomorrow at the yard and need to know how they come off.

not a 100% sure but i think they are a combo of clips and nuts, dont really know cuz never had a reason to remove them.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Very fleakin easy!!! at each end, look under is on the door. Not inside the panel, just uner the ends of it. There are two cap nuts, remove them and it comes off.

Comment

I guess it's not as easy as I initialy thought, though I remember now. My driver door one is new, the last one in the Ford parts inventory across the nation.

This is the nut for the rear of the front door.

This is the screw on the front of the rear door.

There are only 2 fasteners per piece. The others you will have to remove the door panel to get to. From there it is obvious.

Comment

Good post!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

gotta be careful with dem nuts though, if they are really rusted, it's easy for them to collapse when you go to unscrew them. Had this happen before. Damn things.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks. Guess I'll be yankin' the panels off that nice '91.

Comment

what about the trim around the rest of the window??? Im thinking of de-trimming around the windows too.

I saw MIB the other day, and that box looks so sweet with just one set of trim around the doors/windows instead of 2.

so you do or dont have to take to door panel off to get at the trim in the pic of montey???
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Oround the front door, the front and uppet part is one piece. It is held on by clips, so just pull and it will come off. The rest are held on with screws. Removing them will cause an issue, as the a piece of weather stripping is integrated in the trim.

Comment

Wasn't able to find any of that trim in good shape at the yard except on that '91, but the yard owner gave me some BS about keeping the door complete, so I couldn't touch it. I found another GM with busted up chrome and ripped it off just to see.

The front door has that "nut" in the back underneath the lip and a screw up front inside the door. It looks like a bitch to access.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
                      Wasn't able to find any of that trim in good shape at the yard except on that '91, but the yard owner gave me some BS about keeping the door complete, so I couldn't touch it. I found another GM with busted up chrome and ripped it off just to see.

The front door has that "nut" in the back underneath the lip and a screw up front inside the door. It looks like a bitch to access.
                      it is. also tell the jy owner to take the door and cram it
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I think I used two universals, a long extension and a short extension and a deep socket to get that one off.

Comment

Working...
                        X