Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many o2 Sensors????

Hey!
    I just bought a 1996 Marquis LS w/ 80K miles and its tossing o2 codes. I have one new cat converter and the codes keep popping up so Im guessing the sensors are bad.

My question is how many exhaust/o2 sensors do I have and are the upstream and downstream the same part?

4. the rear ones will give you catalyst efficiency codes, the front will give you lean or rich codes. Don't assume its the sensors though, they may be telling you there is actually a problem somewhere.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awww man.
      What type of problems?

Comment

vacuum leaks, dirty MAF, leaky injectors, dead plugs, dead wires. What codes exactly are you getting?
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

lets see....
          p1151
          p1132
          p0135
          p0133

Comment

Not the catalyst code. Slow responding sensors and heater circuit failures. Also one for a sensor not switching always lean. This could indicate some vacuum leaks as Gadget said. But the sensor itself could be bad too. But here's some questions to narrow down the diagnosis. Are the sensors hooked up and are the wiring harnesses in good condition mang? Are the connectors clean and free of dirt, oil, rust etc?
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Not the catalyst code. Slow responding sensors and heater circuit failures. Also one for a sensor not switching always lean. This could indicate some vacuum leaks as Gadget said. But the sensor itself could be bad too. But here's some questions to narrow down the diagnosis. Are the sensors hooked up and are the wiring harnesses in good condition mang? Are the connectors clean and free of dirt, oil, rust etc?
              Ahhhhh I dont know if they are hooked up. I dont know where they are. My skills as a GM father seem to be rather poor.
              So none of those are o2 sensors?
              Is it about the MAF sensor?
              Ohhhh MAN! I hope this is easy to fix. Ive given her a new Cat coverter, 2 new brake lines both to the rear brakes, a new battery and a chrome tipped exhaust (for looks of course)

Is there a way I can find where all these damn sensors are?

(thank you BTW)
              Last edited by The Dalek; 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Those codes say the O2 sensors are reading fuel mix problems. Either there is a fuel mix problem and the sensors are telling you the truth, or you have dud sensors. It could be either, but I never replace sensors without checking other stuff because I'm cheap. More often than not, the sensors are telling you the truth and you have to figure out why. Sensors in general are very reliable devices, and computer diagnostics are useful but they can only point you in the right direction, they seldom will tell you with absolute certainty "this is the problem, replace that part".

Shop manuals will have locations of all the parts. Your car should have one available on CD for not a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                X