5.8 Swap in the works, questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.8 Swap in the works, questions.

I was originally planning an EFI 306 build, but ever since my latest discovery, I'm leaning towards carb 351.

I recently came across a local yard that has a 85 Cop Car 351 with 88,000 miles on it, and they want 350 for it. Once I get the money, it will most likely be mine.

Question 1 is Did the 351's have the same crap style pistons that lo-pos did, or do they have different ones (mainly worried about cam lift at this point)

Even if there is clearance, should I replace the pistons anyway to up the compression a bit?

The goal is to get the Edelbrock power package which is good for 400hp and 450tq, which is why I'm opting for a cop car block vs And F150 roller block (the eddy kit comes with a flat tappet cam).

Other Questions:
    Fuel System....should I just opt for most of the cop car components, with an upgraded fuel pump?

Ignition....Will the TFI work? Or will I have to shitcan all of that too

What do I do about the computer?

Anything else a major obstacle that I need to take into consideration before this? I'm not expecting this to be too entirely easy, but I'm not expecting it to be hard either.

The 351 build will net me more power for less dough vs the 306 (a parts tally for the 306 had me at 5k to only get about less power than the 351, so I quit counting lol) Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Now I just need moneyz....
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Very nice!!! Do what ya gotta do to get the money (even if that includes trickin on Friday nights).

Packman

Comment

thanks...I don't expect it to come all at once either. I most likely will get the engine and gradually build it up. I also need an 89-up AOD to build up, and I'm planning on a 3.55 trac Lok rear end build. This has the potential to be a good summer.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Sounds a lot like the build I am plannin for my 87. Carbed 351 (might be crazy, might be mild, havent decided yet :smirk built AOD, and posi rear.

To attempt to answer some of your questions I think your prob gonna need to trash everything to do with the fuel injection. Also I know that for the ingnition most guys run an MSD box when they do a carb swap.
        -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
        -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

just take all your computer stuff out. If its carbed you might need to get the tank out of the donor car, since it will use a mechanicle pump located on the timeing cover

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
          351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
          duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Why not keep your EFI? Almost everything will swap- wiring, mounts, fuel system (upgrade pump,) etc. Just need to find an EFI intake (Lightning or TFS,) convert to MAF HO ECM, and get the exhaust modified to fit. Much easier than converting the fuel system and ignition.
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

you can run a flat tappet in a roller block, no problem there

for the money, you can get a better head for what the edelbrock would cost

keeping efi isnt a horrible idea, Id skip the gt40 intake though and use edelbrock or tfs

Im pretty sure the 351 uses cast pistons; notching pistons isnt that big of a deal either

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                What exactly is a "roller block"?? Sorry for going off topic.
                -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_LSS View Post
                  just take all your computer stuff out. If its carbed you might need to get the tank out of the donor car, since it will use a mechanicle pump located on the timeing cover
                  Just grab the pickup out of the tank, is all.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post

for the money, you can get a better head for what the edelbrock would cost

keeping efi isnt a horrible idea, Id skip the gt40 intake though and use edelbrock or tfs

Im pretty sure the 351 uses cast pistons; notching pistons isnt that big of a deal either
                    I agree on all points. I'd go Edelbrock or TFS before GT40 unless you get a smoking deal ($350 or less) on the GT40 intake.

Either way, good luck.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

If you can find a motor out of a 94+ truck, get that instead, its a roller motor. I think those also have hyper pistons, though I may be wrong there.

The police motors have big oval dishes in the middle. I suppose they work for valve reliefs, but they also have the effect of tanking the compression pretty badly. I think they're also a craptacular cast piston, so they're not worth much anyway.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                        What exactly is a "roller block"?? Sorry for going off topic.
                        the valley is tapped for the hold down for the dog bones and the lifter bores are taller; allows the use of a hydraulic roller cam with stock roller lifters like your 302 has

Comment

compression ratio is 8.3 to 1 on stock police motors. that + cast pistons means that a set of pistons would be high on my list if I ever pull my engine for a refresh.

something like this:
                          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MHP176-300/

would end up with you gaining a good amount of compression for a couple hundred bucks when you factor in the money you would have spent on the rest of that kit anyways.

If you want to go bulletproof, another hundred or so gets you forged pistons http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-CSMHP803-000/

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Go for the roller block and cam. Better profile, less friction, and a lot easier to break in.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
                              Why not keep your EFI? Almost everything will swap- wiring, mounts, fuel system (upgrade pump,) etc. Just need to find an EFI intake (Lightning or TFS,) convert to MAF HO ECM, and get the exhaust modified to fit. Much easier than converting the fuel system and ignition.
                              My main concern about keeping EFI is cost. Also hood clearance issues. I believe I am correct in saying that the TFS manifold will not fit under the stock hood, and the Lightning intake is a little pricey, and I'm not too thrilled about a super victor plus an elbow either unless there is some serious power backing it up. Plus than you have to think about healthier fuel injectors, a tune, and other electronic crap, when I can get the same amount of power out of a carbed motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X