AC flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC flush

I have a 95 town car and the ac isnt blowing cold air.....its like room temperature. do i just recharge it with freon??? or should I flush it out and put new oil and freon???

95 should have 134a in it. You can get a recharge kit almost anywhere for that. You might want to see if you can track down where it's leaking from and try to seal the leak as well. I've know many that never did that and just kept refilling the system though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is the compressor running? 90s Towncars sometimes have problems with the blend door, and other times they have issues with the AC relay in the climate control unit. Either condition will cause no cold air without actually being low on refrigerant. Don't just pump gas in without knowing exactly what its doing, or you could overcharge it and make something blow up.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        95 should have 134a in it. You can get a recharge kit almost anywhere for that. You might want to see if you can track down where it's leaking from and try to seal the leak as well. I've know many that never did that and just kept refilling the system though.
        I wouldn't recommend the use of sealer mang, I've heard issues with it where it'll clog up the orifice tube and other stuff in the system.

Did it ever blow cold air? How long have you had the car?

Comment

i know that its not leaking, but ive had the car for about 6-7 months maybe a little more but the weather here in chicago is just really starting to turn up the damn heat!

so i dont know if the owner before me has ever flushed out the ac system cause i dont want it to clog up on me

Comment

I wasn't suggesting sealer... I was suggesting fixing the leak so it's all sealed up. Sometimes the words don't flow right. I'd use some die to show the leak (may be at a joint and just need a new o-ring or a nut tightened is what I was thinking). Then once it's found, find a way to fix the problem permanent. Gadget has a good point though. Those blend doors are sometimes a PITA!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you know its not leaking, why do you think it needs more refrigerant? Check the pressures before you touch anything.

The only time you usually need a system flush is if the system has been contaminated, either from a compressor exploding or the system being left open or having some sort of incorrect refrigerant or oil put in it. If its never been apart and the compressor hasn't grenaded, you don't need to flush it. If it is completely empty, then you probably ought to open it up, replace all the O rings and the drier, and consider a new orifice tube. The drier needs to be replaced any time the system is opened, and it needs to be put under hard vacuum to boil any moisture out of the system. By hard vacuum I mean greater than 29", and the pump needs to chug along at least a half hour but longer is better.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh the reason i think it needs freon cause the air isnt cold at all, so i just wanted to make sure that there are any specific steps that i should be making.

thanks alot for the other info

Comment

Get a set of pressure gauges and hook them up. Before you can do anything with the system you need to know how much, if any, charge it has. Its either an electrical problem or a refrigeration problem but without checking pressures you'll never know which it is. Even a really basic charge can with a pressure gauge will tell you something. Without the compressor running, I'd expect 80-150 psi. With the compressor running, it should be 20-45 or so.

Comment

Working...
                  X