header install price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header install price

I want to get the shop that did the rest of my exhaust to put my BBK shorties on. I don't think I could do it myself since I can't do anything with metal to make up flanges etc and honestly don't know exactly what they did in the first place other than remove cats and install an H pipe.

$150 - How does that sound? I'm probably going to get them to weld on tips while it's in there since that will add all of 10 minutes to the job.

I suppose this should be in the performance section. Sorry.

If the tips are too big, can the shop adapt them to fit easily enough?
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-27-2010, 05:43 AM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Based on my limited experience talking to exhaust shops, I'm surprised you were able to find someone willing to touch them. Places I talked to back in Indiana universally said they wouldn't touch the head side of anything anyone could call a "header" because "they always leak". So I spent a few bucks on copper exhaust gaskets and had at it myself.

Any exhaust pipe can be adapted to any other exhaust pipe. I used to just use the adapters from the parts store along with clamps. Now I would probably cut a thin wedge out of a pipe in the larger size and weld up a taper with my cheap wire-feed unit.

Then again, IMO, nearly any exhaust work is a prime place to save $$$ with a DIY job. Not having to explain to a shop monkey when you want something done differently than stock is just a bonus.

YCYMYP :p
    Last edited by 1987cp; 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thats cheap........are they also going to weld in o2 bungs? dont forget you will need oxygen sensors with longer wires........90 lincoln mark vII o2 sensors will do the trick

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I did forget about the O2 sensors. Fuckin fuel injection!

Does it matter where they go, as long as they are downstream? Are my current ones in the manifolds? I would imagine if that's the case, the length of the wires on them would dictate where they get put...probably in the headers or close to them?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the stock ones are in the exhaust manifold near the outlet. They used the shortest available wires. If you put the sensors further down the pipes you'll need longer wires... so yeah... position dictates wire length.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Any idea on the amount of inches required out of new o2 sensors with a mustang H pipe?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

probably the longest ones if the oxygen sensor is going to be past the drop on the level part of the pipe. Otherwise just measure the distance down from the stock harness. I'd just get the longest ones I could and make sure the excess (if any) is tied away from hot stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Based on my limited experience talking to exhaust shops, I'm surprised you were able to find someone willing to touch them. Places I talked to back in Indiana universally said they wouldn't touch the head side of anything anyone could call a "header" because "they always leak". So I spent a few bucks on copper exhaust gaskets and had at it myself.

Any exhaust pipe can be adapted to any other exhaust pipe. I used to just use the adapters from the parts store along with clamps. Now I would probably cut a thin wedge out of a pipe in the larger size and weld up a taper with my cheap wire-feed unit.

Then again, IMO, nearly any exhaust work is a prime place to save $$$ with a DIY job. Not having to explain to a shop monkey when you want something done differently than stock is just a bonus.

YCYMYP :p

Pretty much the same here. I haven't had any sealing issues with any of the headers that I have installed. The O2 sensors were a PITA for me. I had to get the old ones off and take their connectors because the connectors for the new ones didn't match. $150 ain't bad; just get them to tell you how much it'll cost to extend the O2 sensors. BTW, what exhaust tips did you get?

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  I did forget about the O2 sensors. Fuckin fuel injection!
                  Remove the fuel injection. Problem solved!
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

bah!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

isn't the only carb'd vehicle you have that runs, the one that someone else had already worked the bugs out of? oh!
                      Lemme see someone do a carb swap and have it run perfectly the first time you start it up. mmmm hmmm
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        isn't the only carb'd vehicle you have that runs, the one that someone else had already worked the bugs out of? oh!
                        Lemme see someone do a carb swap and have it run perfectly the first time you start it up. mmmm hmmm
                        Done.

Comment

No thanks...I like driving my cars more than fixing them
                          sigpic

Comment

also packman I haven't bought tips yet. Don't know what I want...I really like trans am tips like you have (I think it's your car anyway?) but don't know if I'd want to be married to them.

Something simple like these maybe

sigpic

Comment

Why not just use 90 TC tubular exhaust and the 02 sensor problem will be solved?

They might be "headers" but they are better and lighter than the stock logs.

Comment

Working...
                              X