Started Tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Tranny swap

I've been collecting parts for a few months.
    The tranny in my '87 C.S. started to slip it had been replaced by the prev owner. I got the original tranny from him (it had been working fine, he replaced it because it was up to 100k mi & he didn't trust it anymore).
    I put a Transgo AOD HP kit, & got a B&M torkmaster 2000. It's already got a big 'honkin cooler on it.
    I got the trans out last night & hope to reinstall today......

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Fair warning, the cooler lines on the side of the trans are a not-so-quick disconnect. They sometimes start to leak if you disturb them after a while. You can get new ones, and they're not very expensive but trying to make people understand what you're talking about is hard. Sometimes you'll find them in the Help section in the parts stores.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, good point,

I have a set from a rad install on a manual trans car that I can use.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Tip of the Day...

Don't pinch the o2 cables between the bellhousing & the Engine Block......
        Last edited by mitymerc; 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Tip 'O the Day #2....

Plug the backup switch in before installing the tranny mounts.....

Comment

sounds like your learning alot lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm just too fatigued to be doing this....
              I haven't had enough sleep for weeks......

Comment

Tip #3, don't pinch the throttle or TV cables in the bellhouse
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And #4, Reinstall the dipstick tube before you fill the trans....

No I didn't dump fluid all over, (but it was close call) LOL see next tip.....

#5 Reinstall the dipstick tube before you put all the bell bolts back in...

It is alive running & all gears work.

I haven't looked at the TV Valve deal yet. Just above idle it is shifting into 2nd at 10-15 mph & 3rd around 35, not hitting 4th in town but it did on the highway (I don't recall what speed).
                  I expected a harder shift at full throttle.
                  I didn't brake stall it yet, but it does seem to have a little more from a stop.
                  I'm racing it at Carlisle on Fri. I hope to pick up a couple tenths letting it shift for itself....

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                    I haven't looked at the TV Valve deal yet. Just above idle it is shifting into 2nd at 10-15 mph & 3rd around 35, not hitting 4th in town but it did on the highway (I don't recall what speed).
                    I expected a harder shift at full throttle.
                    I didn't brake stall it yet, but it does seem to have a little more from a stop.
                    Tip #6

Don't drive it around all over the place until you get the TV pressure set properly.

Comment

Good job mitymerc you did lots of learning today. Hope it all goes well for you at the track.

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                      Tip #6

Don't drive it around all over the place until you get the TV pressure set properly.
                      That is the most important tip. Otherwise you will have to redo everything again.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                        Tip #6

Thanks,
                        I put about 10 miles on it to make sure everything was working & to get the temp up to check the fluid. It is now parked till the TV is adjusted.

Comment

I've never been in an AOD powered car that shifted hard at full throttle. They behave opposite how I'd expect, hard shifts at light throttle, mush at WOT.

Comment

It's got a Transgo HP kit in it. I expected more, Maybe once the TV is adjusted it will be different.
                            Years ago I had a stock C-4 w/b&m shift kit that would chirp into 2nd.
                            This is the first AOD I've modified......

This was posted in the TV Cable thread,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

is it legit?

I've purchased a Gauge but have not cobbled together the fittings yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X