adding dash speakers - how to wire in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding dash speakers - how to wire in?

1988 GM ... Years ago I installed a Pioneer head unit and Pioneer speakers in the doors and rear deck. Since the car is coming apart, I'd like to add dash speakers.

Can I just wire them in to the existing wiring for the door speakers, or is there a better (safer) way to wire them in? Would wiring them into the existing system cause issues with sound clarity for either set of speakers?

Tying them together will increase the load on the deck and will reduce sound quality at the speakers at higher volumes. Id buy some used passive crossovers on ebay or something to split up the highs and lows. This way the dash will only get high mids and treble, the doors will only get low mids and bass.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
        Thanks for the info.
        everything depends on what kind of sound you want out of your system , and what kind of speakers, and so on and so forth. i usually run 4, 8 ohm speakers in parallel on each side to get 4 ohms for the deck and 4 ohm speakers in the back. bass blockers are capacitors that you can buy in almost any electronic shop or radiojunk if your so inclined, you can also get the capacitors out of a stock premium panther front speaker as well, or you can get a crossover system, that works too, or a powered equalizer if you like that sort of thing. oh and i would run all new wires too, easiest way i have found to do it.( blew up a deck in my car with the factory wiring......) but my system is all good now lol
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

four 8 ohm speakers in parallel makes 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel makes four ohms at the deck. If your setup is rated for 4-8 ohm speakers, you're fine as long as it comes out somewhere in that range. Annoyingly most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm now, not 8. or just hook it up because most stereos don't frankly care all that much. If the smoke comes out, then it apparently cared.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            four 8 ohm speakers in parallel makes 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel makes four ohms at the deck. If your setup is rated for 4-8 ohm speakers, you're fine as long as it comes out somewhere in that range. Annoyingly most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm now, not 8. or just hook it up because most stereos don't frankly care all that much. If the smoke comes out, then it apparently cared.
            ok i should have clarified a little bit 4 8 ohm speakers in parraell on either side of the deck so each side is 2 speakers making 4 ohms
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

8ohms would be perfectly fine. I don't know how head units react if you mix and match different impedances on different channels. I have never done this. I would not reccomend it at all. If you go down to 2ohms you WILL have a problem. Your head unit will most likely start overheating. I would suggest a cheap 2ch amp for your best speakers. Then run the others of the head unit.

One thing I would also reccomend is making your own crossover network for your speakers. I have a good writeup at home about this. I will make a post on designing your own crossover networks. It is not hard at all finding out what capacitors or inductors you need to do this. I have all the math formulas written down. Right now I am Colorado Springs visiting my pops.
              Last edited by saiyaneye; 07-18-2010, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X