getting the AOD tranny beefed up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting the AOD tranny beefed up...

i've got a list of things i'm going to get done, and any comments or other things you would think are a good idea, let me hear them. I'm building up the motor to around 300hp in a few months, and possibly 400hp next year (carbed 351) so i would like a tranny that would be comfortable with 500 or so hp...or if its a short enough jump 600 or 700hp would be nice for distant future mods.

-wide ratio gears, and planetary gears
    -blue raybestos clutches
    -OD "A"servo and 2" band, upgrade drum and other parts with OD
    -2400 stall converter (i'm told I have to go lockup still) ...but if I get a 1 piece shaft I can go non-lockup?
    -hardened input shaft or 1 piece
    -off course all new everything else that can be changed like bearings and clutches and that

-shift kit or valve body that allows for WOT in OD...would you reccomend transgo HP kit with the 5500 governer? Will lentech's street model VB hold OD at WOT when the electric lockout is off or will it just kickdown to 3rd?
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
    -shift kit or valve body that allows for WOT in OD...would you reccomend transgo HP kit with the 5500 governer? Will lentech's street model VB hold OD at WOT when the electric lockout is off or will it just kickdown to 3rd?
    Are you going to enter the Silver State Classic or something? Dunno about Lentech, but the AOD-HP will give you a WOT 3-4 shift. Better make sure your trans, driveshaft, and hood can handle it, though.

Comment

How much do you guys think it would cost to build this transmission?
      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Check out some of SilverFox's threads at Click Click Racing. Among other things, he apparently has an adjustable valvebody I'm rather interested in - he says once that's installed, you can adjust WOT shift points by dropping the pan and turning a screw! The idea seems to be to use that valvebody and a 5000rpm governor (OE or TransGo) for auto shift points up to nearly 6000rpm (I think ... been a while since I read my thread in there).
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Check out some of SilverFox's threads at Click Click Racing. Among other things, he apparently has an adjustable valvebody I'm rather interested in - he says once that's installed, you can adjust WOT shift points by dropping the pan and turning a screw! The idea seems to be to use that valvebody and a 5000rpm governor (OE or TransGo) for auto shift points up to nearly 6000rpm (I think ... been a while since I read my thread in there).
          THAT sounds rather interesting.

Comment

Quite. I always figured there must be a way around being stuck with one annoying shift point. Certain people whom I will not specify got me extremely curious with their talk about AOD rides shifting well upwards of 6 grand, which is theoretically impossible with "our" usual component selection.

Comment

Quite. I always figured there must be a way around being stuck with one annoying shift point. Certain people whom I will not specify got me extremely curious with their talk about AOD rides shifting well upwards of 6 grand, which is theoretically impossible with "our" usual component selection.
              I managed to get my Moosevan AOD to shift automatically during the 1-2 shift, at 6500 rpm while at full throttle....but of course, the 2-3 shift was at 5200 or so rpm.

Comment

Did you do that by modifying the governor yourself?

Comment

Did you do that by modifying the governor yourself?
                  I used the TransGo HP governor weights, and drilled one passage just a bit larger. Considering it did nothing for the 2-3 shift....I'd look elsewhere for mystical guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                    I used the TransGo HP governor weights, and drilled one passage just a bit larger. Considering it did nothing for the 2-3 shift....I'd look elsewhere for mystical guidance.
                    Considering that the AOD governor seems to have two plungers, I'd expect such a drilling-related mod to require drilling out an additional passage ... maybe.

Comment

Considering that the AOD governor seems to have two plungers, I'd expect such a drilling-related mod to require drilling out an additional passage ... maybe.
                      The separator plate was drilled oversize, not the governor.

Comment

its going to run me pretty close to $2800 with a full house "racing" buildup with everything you can do to an AOD other than going full manual. I will be going with a hardened 1 peice input shaft with a non-lockup converter in the 2400-2600 range. The tranny shop also advises red clutches with the setup i'm going for...I told them this is still my daily driver and with valve body tuning a 800hp rated tranny can still be friendly on my neck i guess and these guys are AOD guys so its a do-it-once kinda deal and i won't have to worry about my tranny for a long time.

So i'll be getting that buildup done in a month or 2 then the motor in august or september.

let me know what ya's think, andy
                        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Holy Jeebus. My tranny didnt cost nearly that much and it'll handle my 408w just fine...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Truth im pretty sure you can get silverfox's armagedon aod good for 950 hp for that price

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
                              The separator plate was drilled oversize, not the governor.
                              As in, the plate that mates to the valvebody? I'm not thinking successfully of a "separator plate" that lives on or next to the governor.

Comment

Working...
                              X