OD Shifting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OD Shifting question

I was just wondering if when the trans downshifts from OD to 3rd at around 55-65 is supposed to be kinda rough? I can't remember if my 87 Lincoln did it or not. I would describe it as a very firm downshift. At 55 its not really harsh but at 65 it is. Also in a very wide array of speeds from like 30-50 when I let off the gas and step back on it (lightly) it will kinda give a kick back like a manual trans would do. Is it normal? No slips, shudders or anything other then that. I also have noticed it will go into OD around 43mph if im VERY light on the gas. Thats saying I actually have it in OD at anything lower than 45. I usually use the D position until I get to at least 45 cuz im paraniod. I just wanna make sure its working normally. Also OD kinda has a kur-klunk as it engages at some speeds (usually lower speeds 50 and below). Thanks.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Sounds like the TV pressure is set to the higher end of normal. It won't hurt anything, it just makes it shift a little later than stock and a little harder. Its safer to have more pressure than not enough. The OD clunk is a symptom of high pressure, nothing to worry about.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ya thats kinda what I thought was going on. Is it safe for it to shift with little to no throttle into OD at around 43mph? I just try not to have it use od unless im going down the freeway. So it has good TV pressure? Thats good lol. Also it does have the brass bushing installed. When I got the car the old plastic bushing was hardly hanging on so I replaced that right off the bat. I had experienced what happens if that breaks when I had my lincoln and I wasn't in the mood to replace the transmission on the MGM. So shes doing exactly what she should. Good to know. What about the kick back? is that a normal thing for the AOD?
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Comment

It's a smart thing to leave it D until you're on the freeway.

So far as the clunking thing goes, that's shift overlap causing some slight binding between gears, and is a bit normal for an AOD without a decent shift kit in it.

Comment

Ok thats good to know. I kinda figured it was a normal thing with the aod. Everything seems pretty solid with the transmission. Ya I don't want to wear out the OD band on this thing and I have read on many forums not to have it in OD unless its going to be at a speed where it can use it like (45+). So if I'm driving around in town and im not going to get to 45 or not going to stay there long I leave it in drive. I don't wanna bog down the engine for no reason. Thanks for all your imput guys, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X