Big block in the future??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big block in the future??

So I was plannin on a 351 swap into the 87 in the next year or two, I am also considering a 408 crate motor but it seems that now everybody wants to drop a 351 into their box. I dont like my cars being like the crowd, so now I am very strongly thinking about going to........a 460.

I do have questions, is there anyway an AOD would work with a big block or would a C6 just be a better choice? Also what about the 8.8" rear end?? Obviously I know they would need to be built up to take the torque. It probably would be somewhat mild with a cam and heads (Super Cobra Jet? :smirk and yes its gonna be carbed. I dont want the 87 to be a hardcore drag machine, just a weekend toy and cruiser so not looking to make huge horsepower, but a big block box Vic you dont see everyday especially a 2-door. Im just weighing my options...
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

talk to mustangbob....he has a 460 box wagon

anyway, I was thinking as well for a while about a 429/460, until I figured the costs (and warned by numerous people on here that it was got to cost a crapton). You're best bet would be a C6, or better yet a 5 speed. The rear end will be fine (with a rebuild)

I'm all for another big block panther, it would be a complete torque monster, just if you want to do this, be prepared to pay an arm and two legs.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Build a 408W with Cleveland heads. It's almost pointless building a 460 unless you go big, such as a 521, 545, or 557....and nobody has a 408C.
      Last edited by ; 06-05-2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Build a 408W with Cleveland heads. It's almost pointless building a 460 unless you go big, such as a 521, 545, or 557....and nobody has a 408C.
        This. I'm not a big 460 in cars guy. They are great for trucks but the power they make and when they make it isn't always suitable for cars. Build up a flat head for me!!! Seriously, I'd love to stuff one in my vic. They don't make shit for power N/A but they are cool as shit and would go along with my rat rod theme. I know for sure you'd be the only one with a flatty in a box vic.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
          This. I'm not a big 460 in cars guy. They are great for trucks but the power they make and when they make it isn't always suitable for cars.
          No, you can eclipse a stock 460 with a 408W, if the 408W is built properly. Add in the 351W being almost half a foot shorter....and isn't as heavy.....not to mention you can actually get great gas mileage out of a built 408....

Comment

agreed just do a 408 k.i.s.s.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

The 408 I am thinkin about is a crate motor, has 400 hp. It is pretty unique in and of itself to have a crate motor and around 400 ponies in an old Crown Vic, so I will probably just stick with my 408 plans. But it probably wont be for at least another year.
              -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
              -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

400 hp is a weak 408 build one your self, it will be cheaper and you can make more power.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                  400 hp is a weak 408 build one your self, it will be cheaper and you can make more power.
                  Honestly I wouldnt know where to start if I built one myself. It would just save a lot of time and trouble if I just got a motor already built. 400 hp is plenty for me lol. Like I stated before I aint looking for a drag car, just a toy and weekend warrior, if I decided I want more in the future I could swap parts or add forced induction and have a good foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                    This. I'm not a big 460 in cars guy. They are great for trucks but the power they make and when they make it isn't always suitable for cars. Build up a flat head for me!!! Seriously, I'd love to stuff one in my vic. They don't make shit for power N/A but they are cool as shit and would go along with my rat rod theme. I know for sure you'd be the only one with a flatty in a box vic.
                    Nothing sounds like a flathead!
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

start here
                      http://www.fordstrokers.com/

I haven't dealt with them myself, but everyone says that they are awesome, and their prices are reasonable. Get a 408 shortblock from them, and all you're left with is piecing together a top end.

IIRC I think they do longblocks too if you don't want to do the top end
                      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

^ +1
                        buy there short block, slap a set of trick flow twisted wedge fast as cast 190cc heads on it, an intake of your choice with prolly and 850 carb, then get a custom cam ground for your combo, and you'll be in the 550 hp range

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Or you could look for a barge LTD tudor that already has a 400 or 460 under the hood. Here's one with the 400:

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ203813482
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

i like both ideas, the 408 is easy, the 460 is a little harder and i used iron manifolds probably hurts hp a little,but realy doesn't effect low rpm torque.stock 68-71 lincoln 460 has 500lbs.ft.@2800rpm. all else being equal the big block will put out more power because the heads flow a lot more and the bigger bore unshrouds the valves. and you can cut the bell housing off the AOD and use a bolt on one for the 460 i think its from JW transmissions.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Nothing sounds like a flathead saying ohmyfuckinggodpleasegetmeoutofthisgiganticfuckingc arwheeeeeeeeeeeeze*
                              fixed that for you

Comment

Working...
                              X