My 88 Grand Marquis.........Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88 Grand Marquis.........Upgrades?

Hey everybody, I just got a 88 grand marquis yesterday for 500 bucks. It runs extremely smooth. The only bad thing is that its quiet lol. I wanna make this car sound good but i also want this thing loud... very loud lol. It has the stock engine in it. What can I do?

to get any noise out of it you'll have to do the HO conversion. There's numerous threads about that. The stock cam is too mild to really allow any growl out of the pipes at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What if I put on shortys from fox body stang? And 2 1/2 inch straights? What do you think the HO conversion will cost me?

Comment

drive it with the manifolds off

Comment

custom bent dual exhaust, just 2 pipes striaight back, beat the cores out of the catalyctic converters and pick up glass packs like cherry bombs or something, remove your reasonators and throw some tips on there. Dont even worry with tail pipes if you dont really care about looks that much, run them right out before the back wheel or just turn downs underneath the car.
          79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
            drive it with the manifolds off
            I will be real loud as its catching on fire
            Yea I could never really get much of a good sound out of a lopo 302

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
            351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
            duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Ok. Would an HO conversion give me more power? With the stock engine I can put down a tire mark about 20ft long but only 1 tire. What should I do about the differential? And how much would the HO conv. run me?

Comment

You would need a HO camshaft, e7 or greater heads, HO mustang upper intake or explorer upper and lower, mustang or greater throttle body, bored out stock egr spacer to 63mm or lightening EGR spacer if using explorer upper and lower intake, mustang HO computer, 19# injectors, headers and dual exhaust. I'd say you can get it done under 500 if you shop around greatly. Yes it would give you more power, but that power would be worthless behind a peg legger. Definitely upgrade the gears to 3.73's and a t-lok and you will be happy with your ride.

Also moved to appropriate forum where you will get more views.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ok cool. any advice for making it a little louder for now while i save up for everything?

Comment

:hacksaw:
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

cut the muffler and tailpipe off. and then unbolt the y pipe if you have a single exhaust or the H-pipe if you have dual. Mine's quite loud with only stock manifolds and cats on. It's loud enough that you get a good drone in the interior and your windows vibrate.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

lol that works for me, at least for now .

Comment

yeah i have been running my car for about 3 weeks with just stock manifolds and cats and haven't gotten pulled over by a cop yet about it. that's a different story in state though, just be careful. You have been warned. the cops in pa here seem to be the laid back kind of cops.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

yeah i used to run a 72 superbeetle straights into a stinger, and at redline (6500) you could hear her about 3/4 of a mile lol. never got pulled over. God i loved that car. ran a 13.12 in the 1/4.

Comment

mid-length headers, 2.5" all the way back, no cats, no mufflers
                              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                              X