Clear All

::P72Ford's Hot Rod Ram (Grimace)::

::2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, 4x4, short cab, short bed::
    -4.7 (287) SOHC V8
    -NV3500 5 speed stick
    -8" IFS/ 9.25" corporate
    -Deep Molten Red Pearlcoat

Purchased February 10, 2009, with 17,000 miles
    -Head unit, sub, and amp were stolen, driver's door handle and door damaged, overhead console lamps broken.

Modifications:

::Exterior::-17" OEM Aluminum Offroad wheels, with 265/70/17 Wrangler A/Ts
    -35% tint on windows
    -Debadged, Dakota V8 Magnum 4.7 badges
    -Chopped antenna
    -Color matched grille (was chrome), and door/ tailgate handles
    -Rear overload springs removed, and McGuaghys 2" drop shackles

::Interior::-Silver interior accents
    -Huskyliner floor mats
    -OEM head unit, Infinity door and cab speakers
    -Autometer A pillar 2 pod with Phantom mechanical water temp and oil pressure guages.
    -Autometer 2 pod column cover, with Phantom boost gauge, and Innovate XD-16 wideband.
    -Hurst Competition Billet Shifter, with custom large white knob.
    -Hurst transfer case stick (to match the shifter), with matching knob

::Performance::-JBA Cat4ward stainless shorty headers
    -SCT tuned by Hemifever
    -Cherry Bomb Extreme dumped before the axle
    -QTP electric cutout
    -Innovate LC-1 wideband

In the works:
    I have all this stuff (blower en route), and had it installed until I realized the s/c needed to be rebuilt.
    -Paxton NOVI 2000 supercharger, pulley'd for 10 psi
    -Blower tunes with SCT
    -Giant Blue Cobra injectors
    -2 bar MAP
    -Awesome oil cooler set-up
    -Forge 007 by-pass valve
    -Innovate OT-1 logger
    -Plain steel 17s with drag radials (for the track)

::Future Plans::
    -Bed rail caps
    -Undercarriage painting
    -Custom CNC ported throttle body (true 70mm), with new plate
    -Revised y pipe and exhaust using a Flowmaster y collector, and Borla XR-1
    -FMIC or AWIC
    -CenterForce DF clutch (as required)
    -Locker
    -Traction bars (as required)

I'll update pictures as they become available.

To hear it:

For the complete story:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27714
    Attached Files
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Jesus, took you long enough.

Comment

I was waiting for you to post this! How's the progress with Paxton?

Comment

When I called on Monday (I think it was Monday), my 1000 with 6th in line for inspection. I'll be calling again tomorrow.

They have to inspect it before they agree to send me a new 2000.

When I get it, I'll swap the injectors back, swap the MAP, and get the tuning right (including the logger). The new BPV, and tb clamp will go on with the blower.

Then the oil cooler at the next oil change. Then a custom tb, then the exhaust, and maybe an electric fan.

I've been thinking about an E fan for a while, but I'm not sure if I want to go through with it.
        Last edited by P72Ford; 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM.
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

A dood work with claimed a significant seat-of-the-pants and gas mileage improvement when he installed an e-fan on his '05 4.7 crew cab 1/2 ton 2wd 5-speed. Just sayin'.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
          1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably be going that route down the road a ways.

The y pipe mod is also good for a significant seat of the pants gain, too.

Comment

Just some more pictures for the thread. I just took these.

Just buffed the truck out, and cleaned it up a bit. I could have gone crazy on the interior, but I didn't.

Some current underhood pics. The s/c bracketry is kind of visible. You can see the ghetto air cleaner and IAT, as well as the ghetto PCV paper towel mod. Its temporary, obviously.

Also, the relocated washer bottle, and my wideband controller...

I'll be loading my hot 93 tune back in tonight. It makes a significant change in the way the truck drives.

After I get the s/c installed, there is going to be an underhood clean-up (wires, and make sure everything looks factory), and I'm going to probably paint the undercarriage at that time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by P72Ford; 06-18-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Grimace is a hot rod.

I hit 13 psi this morning, by accident.

Tune is right on at WOT, we are working out one small lean spot at cruising speed.

Its very quick.

I'll get the tune perfect this week. I need to relocate the air filter down a little ways, add the oil cooler, and check the function of the by-pass valve. All this week. A few iother supporting additions down the road (icing).

Until then, I'm cruising it around, and occasionally romping it.

The clutch works beautifully. I have no intentions of dumping it, but there is no slipping with mindful shifting.

If you find me on the street, beware. I am much faster than the average 4.7 Ram.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yay!

Comment

looks like a plumbers nightmare with all that pvc pipe lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I love the shifter and the gauges! Well, the whole damn truck is awesome! You'll be making jaws drop at red lights!
                      Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Ok, so an update on my truck.

Its no longer supercharged.

I recently replaced the rear pinion seal, the overhead console, and removed the big oil cooler/ filter relocation. I thought poor quality filters were to blame for the slight clatter I am getting at start up, but I was mistaken. I put a Ropyal Purple filter on the truck, and its still a little noisy at start up.

Its like a valvetrain noise, not bearings. Some people swear its the manifold gaskets, but there could be a number of problems. The 4.7 is prone to noise, but no one really knows what it is. I think I may by the lash adjusters, and the tool to change them, sometime down the road. Some folks report they have gone 100K+ miles with the noise. It goes away after 30 second, but it annoys me. So I may fix it. I'll probably check for exhaust leaks today

Beyond that, I plan to finish off the rails with some snazzy caps, add a tailgate "spoiler", change the coolant before winter, and make a final exhaust upgrade. Then maybe an electric fan (the mechanical piece is horribly inefficient).

I've cooked up a hot 93 tune, once again, with my tuner, but I haven't loaded it in yet. I like running it on regular 87 too much.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

I recently replaced the rear pinion seal, the overhead console, and removed the big oil cooler/ filter relocation. I thought poor quality filters were to blame for the slight clatter I am getting at start up, but I was mistaken. I put a Ropyal Purple filter on the truck, and its still a little noisy at start up.

Its like a valvetrain noise, not bearings. Some people swear its the manifold gaskets, but there could be a number of problems. The 4.7 is prone to noise, but no one really knows what it is. I think I may by the lash adjusters, and the tool to change them, sometime down the road. Some folks report they have gone 100K+ miles with the noise. It goes away after 30 second, but it annoys me. So I may fix it. I'll probably check for exhaust leaks today
                          My Honda Odyssey is making noise (sounds like the bottom end), and it's only got 91K miles on it, with it being serviced every 3K miles since new....I'm beginning to wonder if the 3.5 V6 was the wrong engine to use in a vehicle that occasionally weighs more than 4500 pounds....and if I'm not beating the shit out of it. I'm half-tempted to switch/trade it for something with a V8 in it....

Comment

Well my truck just turned 36,000.

Some folks claim to have had the noise from new. Almost everyone thats had a 4.7 reports that they too have had it make noise.

Its not that big of a deal, but I don't like it, so I may fix it.

I could try a different brand and weight oil, as the filter hasn't changed much. I'll have to see.

Comment

Its been pretty quiet for Grimace as of late.

I put some ABS bed rail caps on it, and added an OEM '06-'08 tailgate spoiler, which look pretty decent. Replaced the top half of the steering column cover, chopped together a new overhead console assembly, and changed the coolant.

I've been driving it totally stock, and I really can't complain. I am considering replacing the truck in the spring, but I'm still on the fence about it. I bought the lash adjusters last week, and I also ordered the Miller tool to replace them. I'll be knocking that out in the next couple weeks. I think I may switch to Pennzoil Platinum engine oil as well, but I still like Mobil 1. The jury is still out on that.

My last project for the year will be to rustproof the truck, for the winter.

If I decide to keep the truck, I will be making some more changes in the spring. I'm contemplating a 2/4 drop, and tossing on a set of 20" 4th gen chrome wheels. I may do a set of Bilsteins at the same time.

Other than that, I want to do something for a liner. If I do a drop in, I'll at least have to prep and paint the bed beforehand, to combat corrosion that could take place under the drop in. So I might as well do a spray in. Not sure if I'll have it done, or buy a professional kit and gun, and do it myself.

I also want to finish going through the undercarriage painting, just because I'm anal like that. I've never really got to this project, but I fully intend to go balls out, if I keep the truck.

And I'll probably have the few small blemishes in the truck fixed. Have the grille, and handles redone at the same time, and maybe have the bumpers and mirrors color matched, and have the rest of the truck buffed out.

Even doing all that, I'd only spend a few G's, which is a hell of alot chaper than buying a new truck. Plus, my truck is easy to work on, and has such low mileage that replacing it doesn't really make sense.

So I'm still thinking about everything, and the voice of reason is kind of kicking in. The 30 grand I would be spending on a new truck would sure help get me into a house a little sooner, even if I spend a few bucks making my current truck look absolutely sick.

Comment

Working...
                              X