front end noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end noise

I'm having a problem with my 99 grand marquis, front end noises on rough roads. I've changed all suspension parts, sway bar end links, bushings, control arm bushings. Nothing has seemed to remedy the noise, it comes from both sides. Any input would be appreciated, i've ran out of ideas. Thanks

have you changed the tie rod ends and the ball joints too?
    could be either if they have not yet been changed, will be waiting for your feedback

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What type of noise? Clunk/Thump/Squeak/Rattle ?

Possibly wheel bearings? If it was aligned after all that suspension work they may have forgotten to tighten the adjusting cams on the upper control arms?
      Current stable:
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
      1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
      1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
      2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

yeah, what sort of noise is it?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the noise is more of a thump. I double checked the adjusting cams, they are tight. The tie rods are all new, spring rubbers, the whole nine yards so to speak. I haven,t taken to alignment shop yet, nothing has worked to stop the noise. Ball joints were changed 8 mos. ago with an alignment. Wheel bearings have no play or movement in them according to the alignment shop. Is there anything I'm missing or forgetting about with bushings or something else. Any feedback is appreciated, I'm at the end of my rope almost. Thanks.

Comment

Probably a stupid question, but how certain are you that the noise is from the suspension? If it were a pre-'92, I'd strongly suspect looseness in the header panel and related components.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Have all the sway bar bushings been done? Make sure that the links are still on the sway bar too.
              I had one (link) rot off on my Oldsmobile and it was missed by the alignment shop. I found it on an oil change.
              Grant
              2000 Grand Marquis 145,000 mi.
              No mods

Comment

That sounds like a pretty sad alignment shop.

Comment

Well....let's just say they won't be doing the alignment on my Merc.
                  Grant
                  2000 Grand Marquis 145,000 mi.
                  No mods

Comment

Reminds me, I need to get my Vic and my angle finder in the same place again and have another look at my own front alignment. Seems I ought to be able to get rid of this slight drifting tendency ....

But now I'm helping drive things off topic.

Comment

did you find the source of this noise yet? how many miles are on the car? what about shocks and springs, have they ever been replaced?
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                      1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                      http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Working...
                      X