Roller Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roller Cams

I just received my how-to book on building hi-perf. FE engines. I did a little speed reading until I got to the chapter on cams. The author said that you don't have to break-in a roller cam, whether it's hydraulic or solid. Is this true? I would imagine that a performance roller cam would need to develop some sort of wear pattern. Any thoughts on this?

Packman

Roller cams do not wear... unless a lifter is broke in some horrible way and the engine can still run. Roller lifters dont usually make any distinguishing marks on the cam. Not sure about breaking in though.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I know that roller cams roll over the lobes, but don't they need to go through some sort of heat cycle like a flat tappet cam would. Eh......perhaps I need to lay off the tequila and not ponder on this stuff too much.

Nice sig pic btw. I couldn't get a pic like that without being kicked in the face by mom telling me to get off the ground lol.

Packman
      Last edited by packman; 06-18-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

roller cams are hardened steel, so no heat cycle or wear breakin or any of that. Just put it in and go. Thats also why used roller cams are generally considered safe where used flat tappet cams are a crapshoot. Change the wear patterns on a flat cam and it might cause problems. Roller cams don't care though, provided the lifters aren't shot and there isn't any damage from something else on the cam lobes.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 stab it in and go

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post

Nice sig pic btw. I couldn't get a pic like that without being kicked in the face by mom telling me to get off the ground lol.

Packman
            That was the day I was under my car for like 8 hours doing coolant flush, and changing all the radiator hoses and fuel filters. That was my second set of clothes, and I was sitting in a puddle of antifreeze. My mom wasn't around to yell at me.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
            X