performance modification thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

performance modification thread

So I figured I would put this thread in a more useful place where it can be seen more. I have been doing a little tinkering, and its drag strip season again so I will be playing with it to see how quick I can make it. I'm doing it the scientific way FYI lol. I wanna see exactly what improvments I get from what mods.

Last season
    E.T. 10.90's
    60 ft. 2.5
    mph. 62

That was with the following combo

stock H.O.
    mass air conversion
    70mm mass air meter
    short ram intake with a cone filter
    egr delete
    smog delete
    a/c delete
    electric fan
    mustang transmission
    stock H.O. headers
    2 1/4 single exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series
    3.08 gears and worn out trak loc

Over the winter I picked up a set of ford racing 4.30 gears and a rebuild kit for my trak loc. Installed the gears and rebuilt the trak loc with 8 clutchs.

First trip to the drag strip with just the gears and a fresh trak loc got me.

E.T. 10.27
    60 ft. 2.3
    mph. 65

I rescently installed no name 1 5/8'' shorty headers, with bbk 2.5'' off road
    h-pipe, and slp lm1's hanging off the end. I havent made it to the track yet but there is a noticable improvment. I am hoping for a 10.0? pass with the new exhaust.

After I get a pass in with the exhaust next on the list is a tune up with ford racing plug wires. Some good plugs, and a good cap and rotor. Now the reason a new air filter isnt on that list is because I am redoing my intake setup, to move the air filter out of the engine bay, and im using a 4'' inlet 12'' long cone filter from anderson motorsports. If I can fit the new filter where the old one is on my current intake setup I will test it along with the tune up. But if not the tune up will ave to be tested with an old filter.

The trip to test the new exhaust is scheduled for this coming friday june, 25

I am hoping for high 9 sec passes this season with just basic bolt ons and a H.O. I also have a n2o kit laying around. I think I am goin to spray it at the end of the season and go for a high 8 sec pass.

Anywho I hope this can be informitive to people to know what kind of performance gains to expect from certain mods.

Enjoy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Tested the new exhaust tonight man am I pumped about the results.
    Memory refresh, old exhaust stock mustang headers 2.25'' off each header into a y pipe and a single 2.25'' into a flowmaster 40 series dumped at the axle.

best time

60ft - 2.3
    e.t. - 10.27
    mph - 65

new exhaust
    no name 1 5/8'' shorty headers, bbk 2.5'' offroad h-pipe, slp loud mouth 1's dumped at the axle.

new best time

60ft - 2.3
    e.t. - 9.99
    mph - 70

The only and I mean only thing done was the exhaust I touched nothing else. I went almost 3 tenths quicker, and picked up 5 mph.

The part that really amazed me was the mph increase. I am very happy needless to say I was hoping for a 10.07 2 tenths exactly and ended up with a 9.99 im pumped.

Next on the list a good tune up and shooting for 9.89 : )

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Any 1/4 mile tracks near ya? I'm looking forward to getting back to the track after my engine swap and seeing what it will do. Probably wont be till the fall though.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I don't know how far columbus is away from you currently, but National Trails is a pretty kickass 1/4 miler
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

yeah it take about and hour and 45 min to get to national trail from my house. But I dont have a liscence at the moment so when I race I have to sucker one of my buddies into driving the car to the drag strip for me. Then I race the car, and they drive it back home lol. It sucks big time. I really wanna run it in the quarter to see what it does. The calculators say 9.99 in the 1/8th is around 15.60 in the 1/4. I get my liscence back at the end of august I will for sure make a trip to national trail.

Maybe we could get a lil ohio meet in september somtime and every meet at national trail?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post

Maybe we could get a lil ohio meet in september somtime and every meet at national trail?
            I'm hoping so....
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

What was the DA for both runs?

That could have a significant effect on your times.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I do not know what the da was but but it was the same temperature and the same humidity on both days. It was 95 degrees with 90% humidty on both days. I'm tryin to keep conditions as similar as possible, I even run with the same amount of gas to keep the weight the same. Idk lol maybe my old exhaust just sucked that bad. I know with the old exhaust I was dropping off power about 30ft before the traps and having to shift into 3rd right before the traps. Now with the new exhaust it moved the power band up and I can hold 2nd through the traps without the power droping off.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Your holding second with 4.30's?!?
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes sir. I don't have a tach but the calculator says I'm right around 5500 rpm at 70 mph when I go through the traps.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Never mind Im retarded I was a 5-speed and your auto. With my 3.55's I have to go into third.
                      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                      sigpic

Comment

Got on dragtimes.com and looked up the weather and stuff then calculated the DA for both runs

Before exhaust 10.27 best pass DA 2321 ft. april 30th

New exhaust 9.99 best pass DA 2233 ft. june 25th

both passes made right around 9 pm

I am going to try to go tomorrow the DA should be around 1400 ft. I want to see how much of a difference it can make. But I gotta sucker someone into driving me there no liscence FTL.

I am trying to get as much info in this thread as possible so people know what to expect from what mods. I hope you guys enjoy it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Damn, if I lived close to ya, I would gladly drive you to the track.

Packman

Comment

I thought you already had a converter?

get the 60' down and that will make a HUGE difference

1.7 roller rockers should be on your list of things to do

Comment

What tires are you running?
                              [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

Comment

Working...
                              X