more XE258 cam quotes and other cam stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more XE258 cam quotes and other cam stuff

here is some interesting reading i found on theXE258,as well as a nice cam sheet for stock cams and stuff

Ok, so when I owned the Bronco before, I upgraded it from SD to Mass Air since I put in a HO motor and upgraded the cam to a comp cam 35-510-8. It never really ran right, just kind of pissed me off since I spent all that money and really got worse gas mileage and less low end power. That is when I traded it in. So I buy the thing back with a small 2 barrel carb on it. They left the return line open at the frame so when I remove the fuel filter it is clogged with dirt bad, suprised it ran. Well, I just finished putting FI back on, one issue I have in another thread, but I took it for a drive tonight and Holy Crap. I can not believe the low end torque it has. Plus, it runs hard all the way up to around 6000 RPM. That cam kicks arse! Combined with the mass air and headers, I shouldn't have any problems towing anything. Now we will see how the gas mileage is. Probably pretty bad for a while since I cant stop stomping it to the floor to hear it purr!-207racing FSB

Ok, I got lucky and found a link on the Stang.net forum to a free download of the Desktop Dyno 2000 program. The download even included alot of cam and head parameters which are essential to even play with the program. The programs head files folder didn't have the flow numbers for the Topline heads I've got coming, but no biggie, I just plugged em in.

I was thinking that I might go for the 35-518-8 Comp. cam, but after playing with the Desktop Dyno man I think I might have to resist my normal urges to pick as big of a cam as I think I can get away with for that nice idle. I am continuely reminding myself this 408 is going in my heavy daily driver Bronco, not a street/strip terror. I plugged in the XE 258 HR 35-510-8 cam and wow my 408 should be a serious NA torque monster. I had not read about the XE 258 HR cam at all so I was shocked when I plugged it in and with the head flow numbers from Topline's website (which are apparently very accurate according to independent testing) and 9.75 on the compression. Holly smokes, Desktop Dyno says 482 HP at 5500 rpm and 546 ft lb's of torque at 4000 rpm. The program starts at 2000 rpm (wish it started a bit lower) and its saying my 408 should have even 205 HP and 538 ft lb's of torque starting at 2000 rpm. The program needs very specific info with regards to the head flow numbers and cam specs. However, it gets really generalized with the intake and exhaust selections. On the exhaust selection I just selected the small tube headers with mufflers as so far the headers it looks like I'll be getting will be the BBK 1 5/8". Which I've been told will be small for a 408. I'm hopeing it won't hold her back to bad.-408bronco FSB

Little Comp XE258HR cam & RHS (Pro Topline) 200cc combo here. Runs freakin awesome for only 357ci NA. Very strong low end with a brutal midrange.

Cam specs:

Duration:
    .006 = 258/266

.050 = 208/216

Lift:

.533/.544 (Int/Exh)

On a 112 LSA

Valve Timing @ .006":

OPEN CLOSE

Int 19 BTDC 58 ABDC

Exh 67 BBDC 18 ATDC

Heads specs:

64cc Chamber (Currently Iron ones in use, with same heads in Aluminum waiting their turn when the KB comes into play. To offset detonation.)

Flowbench Test Data @ 28" of water

200cc Intake Runner

Lift .100 .200 .300 .400 .500 .600 .700

Intake 67 142 212 258 276 283 286
    Exhaust 60 121 159 184 193 199 202

I take the manufacturers stated head flow numbes with a grain of salt (always). However, Comp Cams who is selling them now has stuck with the numbers. These heads are aimed at a 400-550 hp NA 347ci and up engine. Even so, in my Desktop Dyno 2000 I knocked quite a bit out of each .100" lift incremental cfm. Just to help the program be more realistic. Too many other variables to hurt or help things, but the heads and cam combo are the biggest contributors to start the combo off of. Ofcourse matching to CI of the engine, weight of vehicle and intended use. All other things support/tune the combo one direction or another. IMO, just my 2 cents. 408bronco FSB

If she can clear the lift numbers, the Comp XE258HR is considered the ultimate off the shelf torque cam. My fresh 357 loves it, and its not even ideal for my heads by a long shot. I'd love to try this valve tickler in a 302, but in a stang.

Another info source since its out of a stang would be the corral. Those boys will know exactly what it can handle.

By the way, it has a 112 LSA, and works fine with my Speed Density. The key is in the valve overlap. If the duration specs are tame and you don't have the overlap. You can run a tighter than the commonly thought 116 / 114 LSA even with Speed Density.

The E7 heads have some tiny ass ports. Good for velocity, but dead by 5000rpm.

Oddly, my 200cc ports on a 357 granted........have awesome low end and absolutely killer midrange. I'm a believer in whats called the big head small cam theory. Hence my only getting the 200cc heads since this is a heavy truck and all.
    408bronco FSB

Cam, headers good. Cam, headers, and any head upgrade..........that much much better.
    __________________408bronco-FSB
    Attached Files
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

that's good to know, I'm planning on throwing in one of those on my upcoming 351 build, which will be paired with AFR 185s
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
      that's good to know, I'm planning on throwing in one of those on my upcoming 351 build, which will be paired with AFR 185s
      awsome mang

Comment

Oddly enough, I was looking for some feedback from anyone who's actually ran one of these cams. I haven't seen much of anything yet, in the way of results.

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
          Oddly enough, I was looking for some feedback from anyone who's actually ran one of these cams. I haven't seen much of anything yet, in the way of results.
          i dont know of anyone who has one in a panther.. yet ( I hope to be the first),however i have talked to a few ppl who have them in trucks though, from what i understand they get decent gas mileage(for a truck) and it pulls really big trailers and boats with no issues at all, acceleration is good as well.

Comment

I thought pantera77 has one in his recently acquired colony park?
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

i'm putting one in my merc with gt40p heads and comp behive springs. If anyone can find out wheather or not they leave enough PTV clearence in a LOPO let us know. If not i'll have to notch the pistons but hopefully not.
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Whenever I get around to swapping intakes on the Towncar, I may put one of these in. Have to actually send the lower out for porting first. Other priorities at the moment.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's somewhat similar. To be honest, I don't care for it.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Sounds interesting. I was thinking of sticking with a TFS stage 1 cam in back of the 170cc heads and 351W R-Series intake with whatever 351W I end up getting. I don't know if this will ever happen though.

Packman

Comment

its a crane 2020 actually

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                        i'm putting one in my merc with gt40p heads and comp behive springs. If anyone can find out wheather or not they leave enough PTV clearence in a LOPO let us know. If not i'll have to notch the pistons but hopefully not.
                        87 and up.. should be ok ,but upgrade the rods while your at it, but to play it safe, i would notch them anyway

Comment

Working...
                        X