Chrome rocker trim removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome rocker trim removal?

Looks like I found nice chrome rockers for my TC - for $20!!!

I only need the drivers side, mine was damaged when a tire went south.

It looks like it's one single piece from the front bumper, around the wheel, down the side, around the rear wheel and to the rear bumper??! Whoa.

Anyone know how to remove it, preferably without destroying it?

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Eh? Which piece? The panel that's about six inches tall and totally shiney? For one thing that's stainless steel, which is why they aren't rusty.

There are two styles. I'm not sure which years have which styles but there's two of them. In one, there is a long rocker piece that goes underneath the doors, and the larger polished piece on the rear of the front fender comes off separately. On the others, the piece on the fender and the piece that goes along the length of the body (under the doors) is a single piece. That one's a bastard to remove.

Read this carefully:

To remove them: you first have to remove the wheel well molding on the front fender. There are self-tapping sheet metal screws in the wheel well (about five of them) and there are a couple studs on the front of the fender that are removed with nuts on the backside of the sheet metal. If I remember correctly these are accessible from underneath the car. On the rear attachment points, there are two plastic clips. If you're VERY careful you can pry the molding a little bit and see the white plastic stud that goes into the fender to find their locations. If at all possible, support the clip on both ends (above and below the stud) and pull STRAIGHT out. If any of them come out complete, SAVE THOSE CLIPS. Chances are you'll need them. If you break them, they're useless, and as far as I know there is no definite aftermarket equivalent. BE VERY GENTLE REMOVING YOUR OWN because they will break almost as soon as you touch them. You need two for each side! If you end up breaking all of them, PM me and we can figure something out.

Once you remove the wheel well molding, you'll find two(?) self tapping sheet metal screws securing the stainless panel on. Remove them. I think there's also one or two in the wheel well. These are all the screws that hold the panel on. If you look closely where the trim gets to the rear wheel you'll see there's a small piece right there on the dog leg (the small area between the rear door and the wheel well). If I remember correctly you can't remove that until the big panel's out of the way due to a sheet metal screw being underneath, so don't bother trying to move it.

If you have the single piece trim that goes underneath the doors:

Jack the car up. Remove the front wheel. This makes it WAY easier to remove this ~8ft long stainless panel without kinking it. If you're really super duper stupidly lucky you'll be able to just slowly tug it forward off its clips and slightly flex it as it goes into the wheel well and off the car. Most of the time this doesn't happen. You'll see that the piece ends right past the rear door. Hopefully you can bump it loose without damaging it so you can put a piece of wood in the small opening it'll create. Put the wood against that edge (use as much contact as you can - spread out the force of impact!) and hit the wood with the hammer gently but firmly. Don't smash it, but you don't want to pussyfoot either. If you have a helper to pull on the panel (from the front wheel well side) I imagine this would greatly ease the process. Eventually you'll get it off. Just don't try to pull it away from the body too much, because you WILL kink the panel and fuck it up. If you do that and want it fixed, PM me. I was taught (using one of my own panels! ) how to repair these.

Installation is the reverse of removal, just make sure to keep the panel straight along the rocker. Use the hammer and wood to gently whack the part that curves into the wheel well. Make sure it engages all the clips along the body. This is important or else it won't be firmly held onto the body, and you don't want that big piece of metal falling off on the highway and spearing a tire, or dragging on pavement and ruining all your hard work. The clips will try to pivot as you hit the panel on - this is a pain but eventually you'll get them.

If it's the two piece trim, I believe the bottom pops off with some gentle outward force and then the fender piece probably has some sheet metal screws or something at the bottom of it. I've never had that design apart because while it looks easier to work with, it's just not as aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Let us know how you make out... I've never met anyone else who's removed these without damaging them. Mine were damaged when I got them, but I got them off without further ruining them.
    Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks! I sure wish I had time to try it at a yard before I pull these, but no.

Attached is what I have, I'm 99% sure it's the one piece.

Thanks again! When all is said and done I'll report back

Pete

PS anyone need anything? It's a 85, engine, center caps, & door panels sold already. I don't know the interior condition but will check, just let me know.
      Attached Files
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yeah that's the single piece. I wouldn't want to try it in a yard first. It's a pain in the ass. Just be gentle and don't twist the panel around much as you pull forward off the clips. I've done it with the wheel on before but that's pretty sketchy. With the car raised and the wheel off you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Working...
        X