Bolt in megasquirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt in megasquirt

My buddy linked me to this placed he is useing it for his turbo ranger. Anyway I checked out the site and he does plug and play megasquirt setups for any ford from 84-94. So I called him to see if he could build them for the panther platform and he said no problem. Also if you have already converted to mass air like me he said all you have to do is leave it unplugged.
    Here is the site http://www.wilsonracingms.com/home check him out he was a super nice guy. Also seems like a good option for us panther guys for a cheap easy managment system.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

woo... $650 makes my wallet cringe at the moment.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Interesting... but I am curious how it works.

for $650 you get the ECM, cables and tuning interface?

how does the rest work? do you use your own hardware (injectors, intake manifold, etc)

is this only for turbo/supercharged applications?
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

for example.... this is a complete system.

http://www.massfloefi.com/mass-flo-s...fi-system-p-17

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

His is set up to work with the factory sensors and wireing harness the only thing you don't use is the map sensor becuase the the squirt has on built into it. No extra fancy sensors or anything is needed.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

This would be the only way I'd want to do MS. I have no desires to build my own EFI harness, and I'd like the ability to plug in a stock ECM in case of an "oh shit" moment that caused the MS ECm to fry. I'm just curious though, is this a speed-density system since it says it has a MAP, or does it use both a MAP and a MAF?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's a speed density system. It has a map built in for boosted applications. Because he sells most of them to convert turbo 2.3's from vam to speed density. But he can build them for any application he said, but all of them are speed density set ups.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Question? What is a megasquirt? Is this just a custom tuning interface that integrates the stock ECM? Sorry for the Newbage... Thanks for entertaining it.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I am confused how the MAP sensor can be built in to the ECM... How does it "sense" manifold pressure?

Comment

Is it updatable like SCT?

With my SCT, all I do is drop my tuner a line, and let him know on new mods. He sends me a revised preliminary tune. I datalog it with Innovate goodies, and send him back the log files. He examines, makes changes, and sends me a new tune.

The tunes come in email, and get loaded into a hand held, and then you dump them in via the OBD port.

Is this updatable like that?
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The map sensor is in the ecu case and it has a vacuum line that you hook to the manifold. I don't know if this is updatable I know he sends it with a base tune from a running car and then you build you own custom tune off of his base tune. Via software on you laptop.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                        Question? What is a megasquirt? Is this just a custom tuning interface that integrates the stock ECM? Sorry for the Newbage... Thanks for entertaining it.
                        Megasquirt is basically a roll-your-own EFI system. It completely replaces the stock processor with the Megasquirt brain. It allows complete tunability without adding anything. Sone stock ECMs are tunable, but you have to buy something like a tweecer to do it. Megasquirt can be adapted to run literally anything, provided you hook up the right sensors. You could do a MS lawnmower if you felt so inclined.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Considering this, that sounds like a pretty good price then.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yeah... the price is pretty good for the ability you get... my wallet is just really thin right now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                              Question? What is a megasquirt?
                              It's what happens after '$1 Taco night' at Taco Bell.

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                              My buddy linked me to this placed he is useing it for his turbo ranger. Anyway I checked out the site and he does plug and play megasquirt setups for any ford from 84-94. So I called him to see if he could build them for the panther platform and he said no problem. Also if you have already converted to mass air like me he said all you have to do is leave it unplugged.
                              Here is the site http://www.wilsonracingms.com/home check him out he was a super nice guy. Also seems like a good option for us panther guys for a cheap easy managment system.
                              I have a few suggestions for your friend, and I'm seriously not trying to be an asshole here, this is entirely an objective view, as this is a great deal for getting rid of the stock Ford ECM garbage:

Fix the spelling and grammatical errors. In addition to the errors, with as low-buck as the site appears (low overhead, or cheap site hoping to snag some quick cash?), regardless of whatever good this guy might be doing for the Ford community, with the misspelling and grammar errors, no phone number to contact him with (email only? Rrrright), low-resolution pictures (the kitchen floor tile background isn't a confidence booster, sorry, neither is the one other picture showing a blurry cell-phone pic of a crank position sensor on an engine, and an extremely-dirty shop floor below), and very little in the way of seeing something resembling a brick and mortar location, this website screams 'Nigerian Scam'.

I think he's got a great thing going here, but if he's serious about doing this as a business on the internetz, he needs to spend a day or two getting some proper pictures together, and make it look like someone competent is running the business. I'm not a web designer, or an expert on how sites should be constructed by any means, but I'm getting several warning flags just making one pass over the entire site....and if I hadn't heard of your suggesting this guy, there's no way in hell I'd plunk down $600+ for this product.

He's trying to sell product, but he's not doing a very good job of selling it with this configuration. If this comes across as offensive, it's not meant to, but if I were to come across this site on my own, without having heard of it from you first, I'd have a laugh about it, and keep driving.

Build it, and they will come.
                              Last edited by ; 07-14-2010, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X