97 CV A-frame bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 CV A-frame bushings

Does anybody know how hard or easy it is to change out upper control arm bushings on a 97?. I've been told you need a lift, can't do it with jack stands. And that they will need to be pressed in, is that true?

Anybody done this?

I've got to get on these fast, front end noise driving my crazy

Thanks,

you do not need a lift
    you do not need a press either if you replace the rubber bushings with poly
    gotta run out rescue a broken vic, more later

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I finally got into the 97's front end, and decided to replace the control arms and not just the bushings. It needed ball joints too and brakes!! The new control arms where cheaper than bushings and ball joints for the old ones. This job looks tough but it is incredibly easy, the thing just came apart, both sides out in 45 minutes to an hour at most. And that is doing it for the first time. Changed out the cracked plastic intake and valve cover gaskets as well.

Comment

Cool. Suspension work is generally not as horrible as people make it out to be. The only thing I'd suggest is checking the stuff on the lower arms. Generally the lowers take more abuse, so if the upper ball joints and bushings were shot, I wouldn't expect the lowers to be much better.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok... i am working on a 1992 Grand Marquis... the rear upper bushings are shot on both side and banging metal... the passenger upper ball joint is bouncing too...

where do i get the poly bushings from.. i looked up autozone, oreilly and advance ...
          none have the poly except autozone which is red bushings and full kit costing $71.99 for all the bushings and i dont need them all
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

energy suspension sells the kit, but its for all 8 bushings. Honestly if your uppers are that bad, yes you do need all the bushings. The lowers are going to be right behind the uppers, and both uppers should be done at the same time. Also if the upper ball joint is shot, almost guaranteed the lowers are wasted. They typically wear out long before the uppers do.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

keep in mind and this may be just my experience but I had poly bushings on a truck once and I got a lot of squeak the rubber didn't have. The poly are superior but you might want to lube them with something every so often to remove squeak if you get it.

Comment

you have to slather a lot of that sticky nasty greasse they come with on the bushing to keep them silent. Mine don't make noise, but I lubed the BS out of them during install.

Comment

Is there any real difference between police and non-police front upper a-arm bushings? And if so which is better? I expect police? Working on a 94CV.

Comment

police should have a solid upper control arm...no bushings in there
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

the solid bushing nonsense stopped in 92. The later police arms have different sized bushings though, I think they're both the same size vs the Civi arms with one big, and one small. You cannot put police bushings in a non-police arm.

Comment

i have one pi 92-94 upper arm and one non pi 92-94 pi upper arm on my town car big brake conversion, i did not know about the es bushings in 04, the grand marquis i pulled the upper arms from had an arm replaced with a pi arm and i did not notice, was a bit of bushing confusion, but it all had to go together in a weekend.......should have a pr of matching upper arms cause you would not want to have to order two poly busing sets......there is no real difference in handling is what i'm trying to say

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

IIRC my towncar had p71 uppers because they were two different sizes and the civi is all the same. I ordered civi bushings so I dunno. Been too long. However I did get my rear poly bushings in this weekend.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

mah bad...i'm too old school lol
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              You cannot put police bushings in a non-police arm.
                              Well, you can, after doing my sandpaper-on-a-lathe routine, but it'd be lots easier to get the right bushings to start with. I bought the 4.3153 by mistake for box-body civilian arms and two bushings were too big.

I bought extra grease when I ordered the bushings just because. I don't recall having much left over.
                              Last edited by 1987cp; 11-01-2010, 12:03 AM.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X