bigger bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bigger bar

Snagged a front bar from a Colony Park at the junkyard today and stuck it on. It has to come back off tomorrow to change the bushings tho. Advance has them on order for me, and they should be in tomorrow afternoon. I had it up in the air doing an oil change so I stuck the bar on. I think I may have a weak spring tho. I bolted it up to the frame, set the passenger side end link in place, and found the driver's side bolt was up about an inch from where it should be. I had to loosen the frame mount to get the end link bolted up, then tighten the frame mounts again. Its like the passenger side is lower or something. That, or the bar is twisted. I sort of hope its the bar. When I replace the bushings tomorrow, I'll check the height of the front end with it unbolted to see if its even or not. If not, I guess its a good excuse to upgrade the front springs along with the rest of the front suspension. I'm thinking HPP springs. Little bit stiffer, but not as stiff as PI. I expect it to not handle quite as well as it would with PI springs, but I'm more concerned with keeping the plushy ride than cornering ability.

Related: Anyone know what the limo springs are rated at? Are those just PI springs, or HPP springs? Or something else totally?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just got back from a test ride. All I can say is WOW. I'd have never imagined $15 could make such a difference, and thats even with the bad bushings. I'm now interested in seeing just what this thing is gonna feel like with new bushings and shocks. Shocks are probably next weekend's project. I've known mine are shot for a while, and when I was underneath I noticed the passenger side shock drooling oil. Time to can those POS things.
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep it's the little things. Swaybars are great upgrades.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Found the info about the springs from a link mrltd posted.
        http://www.p71interceptor.com/suspen...rtnumbers.html

figures are metric, but what it amounts to is that Towncar limo springs are exactly the same as HPP springs. Interestingly, GM and TC standard springs are softer than standard CV springs. When I wander to Advance tomorrow I'll see if they can get me either limo springs or CV HPP springs, and how much. Prolly not gonna buy them right now, just curious what the pricetag is.

Comment

Do the big bars from the Colony Park fit my '93 GM? How big is it, exactly?

Thank You and
          Good Day
          1993 GM LS 244K
          29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
          All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

HPP?
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

HPP = handling and performance package

Thaine - what size was your stock one??? Scott said his was a measly 7/8"...

I upgraded my 1" to a 1 1/8".... Im wondering if the wagon bar would be much improvement.

for the record, '92+ panther bars are completely different and dont work on a box.
              You'd have to install the newer upper A arms to make the fronts work, and youd have to cut and re-weld a large amount of the area between frame rails on the rear to make a rear bar work.

BUT it looks to me like a front box bar will work on a newer panther, since the lower A-arms are the same... they look like they still have the box bar link holes in them.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah, the fronts should work but the rears will not. I need to go boneyard hoppin to find me some bars for the front and rear. I could not be happier with my towncar setup tho I do want to put on new rear air springs and box my arms.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

When Scott and I did the brake conversion, all that changed was the upper arms. I kept my big wagon bar on front, but I also have the option of using the later model bars because they mount to the 98+ spindles

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                    HPP = handling and performance package
                    What I thought.

NooB
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

When Scott and I did the brake conversion, all that changed was the upper arms. I kept my big wagon bar on front, but I also have the option of using the later model bars because they mount to the 98+ spindles
                      Call me crazy, but would it be possible to use two bars at once???

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                        Call me crazy, but would it be possible to use two bars at once???
                        You're Crazy

Don't know though
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Run Both!!!!
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Unless you welded two ends on one bar you couldn't. thats just bizzare.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

How about something like this?
                              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                              X