Poor Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Gas Mileage

Well, everyone knows panther's aren't meant to be great on gas but, I' only getting 11 or 12 mpg, and when I use (weak) A/C the mileage dips below to 6 or 7 mpg. I have absoultly no clue on what's wrong. I know that A/C lowers your mpg's but this is alot of gasoline being used when the air is on, which means alot of $$$

sigpic

Contrary to belief they aren't that bad on gas. Most panthers average about 15 city and maybe 18 highway. If your engine hasn't been maintained or your transmission is on it's way out, your gas mileage will suffer. A/C would make your mileage drop like 2-3 MPG. Do you have any other problems with the car besides the bad mileage?

Comment

vacuum leaks, poorly adjusted TV cable, dragging brakes, and bad wheel bearings can all suck extra gas without making an obvious difference from the driver's seat.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

^^^ what they said. With a proper tune up and a well maintained car, I was able to achieve 24mpg highway and 20 mpg with mixed driving. Before my gear swap of course ;-)

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Contrary to belief they aren't that bad on gas. Most panthers average about 15 city and maybe 18 highway. If your engine hasn't been maintained or your transmission is on it's way out, your gas mileage will suffer. A/C would make your mileage drop like 2-3 MPG. Do you have any other problems with the car besides the bad mileage?
          Aside from the mileage the tranny's been feeling somewhat slip-ish, but it very well could be the TV cable causing both problems. Thanks for the help everyone

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 84GrandMarquis View Post
            Aside from the mileage the tranny's been feeling somewhat slip-ish, but it very well could be the TV cable causing both problems. Thanks for the help everyone
            A slipping trans will defintetely kill mileage. Trans rebuild?

Comment

Bad oxygen sensors on a CFI car can cause no symptoms other than horrible fuel economy. Replace it if its original, they're only like 20 bucks. Before doing that though, make sure all of the vacuum lines are good (replace if in doubt) and that the standard tuneup parts are in good condition. Verify the timing is correct as well.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

really, I think going through and replacing ALL the vacuum lines on these cars is a good idea. I've done that (other than a few odd-sized or hard to reach lines), and not only did I find a few leaks, but it went a long way to improving the underhood looks, both through eliminating nasty old lines and being able to re-route some stuff. All for about 30-50 bucks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                X