Rear Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Springs?

What are the different rear springs availbale for boxes? Do they differ bewteen make and model or both - lincoln vs ford or wagon vs. sedan.

I'm looking for slightly stiffer springs but not the huge rake associated with wagon cargo coils. Would stock wagon springs do what I'm looking for? And where can you buy them from, I don't see any listed online.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

You know you want the rake!

I hear stock sedan cargo coils are plenty enough... And from what i've seen... That is true. And you will be running regular shocks, right?

I suggest getting some KYB GR-2s on all four corners..
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Edelbrock IAS!!!!!

Can I get a w00t!!!!
      2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

If you are going for handling, don't get the cargo coils. Get some PI rears or get some circle track ones. Wagon springs will give you a rake. The rates are posted in the FAQ and there is some more info in the one thread by Deuce...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This thread has some good info on autocrossing a box...
          http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=35

Comment

New cargo coils on my car didn't give it any rake. It sits just about level unless I pump some air into it. Ride is no stiffer than before, but the old springs were toast and I ran 100 psi of air to keep the car mostly level.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, but you are in a lincoln with a ton of stuff in the trunk ;-)

I have PI rear springs, now that I see I have more option in the front, I thinl I'm going to be getting either 800 or 900lbs/in for the front

Comment

Pi front springs with one half coil removed give you about 825 in/lbs.

if i remember to borrow the book ill post the coil spring rate formula
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

with airshocks in the rear with 25psi, my cargo coils and rear bar, i hauled my 351W home from GA in the trunk of the merk, and the rake didnt change at ALL.

The 84 HD Cargo coils for a colony park are the best coils for that killer rake...

Comment

My car is air shock-less, probably has the original 91' shocks on it too. I was thinking a set of PI springs for all corners or maybe the limo springs that are rated inbetween.

Front Springs
                    Load Rates in Newton Meters & ft/bs
                    Stock: 77.1 - 440lb
                    Limo/HPP: 98.1 - 560lb
                    Police: 122.6 - 700lb

**Correction I just read HPP rear spings cannot be used on my box due to them being setup to be run with the factory air springs**

So how does police springs out back and HPP springs up front sound for a good handling daily driver?
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I'm getting PI (160lb.) or custom (190-200lb.) springs. I want to firm up the suspension and get rid of the "retirement home" ride. This boat is going to be a cigarette boat!!!!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                      5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Why buy custom? You can get the springs... Circle track parts! Almost any rate you want. Double pigtail springs. 175lb-300 in 25lb increments.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                          Why buy custom? You can get the springs... Circle track parts! Almost any rate you want. Double pigtail springs. 175lb-300 in 25lb increments.
                          :stupid: you can get springs for all 4 corners for about $200 plus shipping when coilsprings.com wants $130 for 2. check my thread at the top of this forum for springs.
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                            Originally posted by mrltd
                            :stupid: you can get springs for all 4 corners for about $200 plus shipping when coilsprings.com wants $130 for 2. check my thread at the top of this forum for springs.

You should be a mod...

Comment

Want the job??

Comment

Working...
                              X