what else to do during HO swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what else to do during HO swap

What stuff should I replace while I've got it apart installing the cam? It's all gotta go back together so it'll be the same amount of work to install a new part during reassembly.

What generally needs replacing at 100k that I will have out anyway?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

timing chain and spockets

Comment

water pump if you haven't already... they're like $15 and you're gonna be in there anyway. might as well.

Comment

thanks Jeff!
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
          water pump if you haven't already... they're like $15 and you're gonna be in there anyway. might as well.
          should i go oem or are other brands fine?
          sigpic

Comment

maybe some better rockers

Comment

no reman water pumps. New ones are generally fine.
              thermostat
              any water hoses you remove if they aren't recent
              distributor O ring (usually in the intake gasket set)
              balancer
              timing set
              pcv system parts
              all vacuum lines
              injector O rings
              fan clutch if not recent/good
              radiator if not recent/good
              distributor if its sloppy, or if the gear shows signs of excessive wear
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                no reman water pumps. New ones are generally fine.
                thermostat
                any water hoses you remove if they aren't recent
                balancer
                timing set
                pcv system parts
                all vacuum lines
                injector O rings
                fan clutch if not recent/good
                radiator if not recent/good
                distributor if its sloppy, or if the gear shows signs of excessive wear

got a t-stat, radiator, will do the rest. i hope the dizzy is good!
                sigpic

Comment

is that the distributor O ring up in the corner? i recognize the upper-lower, lower-heads, and i think an IAC gasket. don't know what the remaining 3 pieces are.

water pump.
                  thermostat
                  balancer
                  timing set

injector O rings

do any of these parts have to be for a mustang? i don't think they do but just wanted to be sure before I ordered anything..are the fuel injectors actually physically larger on the outside?
                  sigpic

Comment

yep, dizzy O ring. the funny looking ones in the middle are for the end walls at the front and rear of the lower intake. They sit on the engine block.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The TB and EGR spacer gaskets need to be for a mustang, or mark 7 LSC
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        The TB and EGR spacer gaskets need to be for a mustang, or mark 7 LSC
                        ah, that's right, I forgot to mention I have those for a H.O already. thanks!
                        sigpic

Comment

is there anything involved in converting to a double chain type setup besides changing the sprockets and chain? i'm told the double chain setup is preferable, and it seems like sound logic, but it wouldn't hurt to run it past you guys first.
                          sigpic

Comment

direct bolt-in, zero mods needed. The stock chain should be a double roller anyway but its wise to replace it since you're in there anyway.

Comment

Thanks!

Any special tools I will need besides something to pull the balancer off?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X