Swap complete 2 big bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap complete 2 big bugs

Ok i have completed the carbed HO engine swap, but have two lingering issues.
    1. Having trouble with fuel delivery. Using the in-tank pump and a holley fuel pressure regulator with bypass for return. When I turn the key to run the pump cycles. According to the fuel pressure gauge the carb gets fuel and fills the bowls. However after the initial cycle the pump is not running. The engine runs till the bowl is empty. But if i key the ignition on and off a few times the pump cycles and refills the carb. The computer is still connected. Any ideas on what is causing this? If i have to i will re-wire the pump, but would like to know if there is something else i can do.

2. Having timing issues. I am running the stock coil with factory harness and an hei ingition module. I'm using a duraspark distributor for an 85 HO mustang. Want to make sure the factory wiring is not causing issues with the coil. Not familiar with the wires. One is green with a fuseable link? and a yellow on the same side (i know its negative side) the other side has a red and a black. Originally was EEC-iv ignition. Any ideas?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

1. Kill the elec. pump and bolt on a mech. done.
    2. I have no idea
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

does the eec-iv computer have any affect on the ignition coil? Should i go a ahead and disconnect the computer?

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

Bypass the fuel pump and set it up so it constant on as soon as you turn the key on.
        No idea on .2

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

+1 hotwire the fuel pump to an ignition circuit

#2 If it's the same coil as in my 88, then it should just be powered on one side and spark out on the other with a capacitor to smooth out the noise. There shouldn't be anything to the coil from the ECC. As far as leaving the original computer connected... I think the only thing it would do is just keep the check engine light on since it's not actually running anything any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Remove the ECM and all of its wiring. It comes out in one big chunk. The ECM requires ignition pickup signal to let the fuel pump run, and since you dont have the stock distributor, it doesn't get that. What I would do is remove the entire harness and just run the ignition and fuel pump wiring direct. The wires you need will come out of the plug near the cruise servo. One wire is ignition +, one wire is fuel pump power, and the rest I dont think you need. You will need to use the Duraspark wiring diagrams that show the connection to the I terminal on the starter relay otherwise you will have no spark while cranking.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what does the cruise servo look like, where is it located? Just wire the + to the fuel pump power?

Comment

cruise servo looks like a drum laying on its side. fairly near the drivers side hood hinge
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ignition + to trigger a relay, use the relay to feed the pump. If you try and run the pump straight off the switch it will melt down.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X